Tuesday, July 31, 2012

yesterday's tease

The humidity dropped but the cloud cover remained, and it was actually pleasant walking around later in the morning and biking to work in the afternoon.   It was still warm, but low 30s C is just warm these days.  It felt like a turning point, the end of a ghastly experience.  I've been in hotter places, but these were also much more interesting places.  This town's chief charm is moderation, not too big, not too small, some conveniences here, some boredom there, a bit of noise here, some solitude there....it's surprisingly nice for a small army town, and nice overall.  But once the weather and thus everything having to do with being outside or going outside became decidedly un-nice, there wasn't much left.  Yesterday, I was walking around and actually enjoying being here again.  I'd forgotten how that felt!

Unfortunately, that was yesterday.  But today isn't so bad.  There are still clouds and the chance of rain, and the highs aren't too much higher.  Is it too early to tell if we are in Summer's taper?  Tomorrow will be August.  I soon can shove the 2nd hottest but most miserable (it beat Virginia) July of my life into the past, and I hope that this August won't also be such an overachiever.

I feel almost broken down again--it's kind of funny how I alternate between feeling busted and feeling infuriated--but I ran 1.5 miles on the treadmill then did Zwow #5.  I looked at #27 but the "buy-in", 3 minutes of squats, turned me off again.  And I like squats!   I'm still evaluating why the buy-in concept repulses me so much.  It's not like I'm actually paying an additional unofficial fee to secure some service that shouldn't require it...I'm actually not even paying for the workouts.  I guess "buy-in" has descended into the same category as "administrative fee" and "handling charge" in my estimation.

So I figured that, heck, I'll at least pick my own buy-in: 1.5 miles on the treadmill.  Empowered by choice, I pushed harder than I have before with this workout and completed five rounds for the first time, although I was working from memory and might have left out a 4th exercise.

No comments: