Tuesday, July 17, 2012

1 hour

And 5.23 miles this morning.  I was aiming for 70 minutes and I was feeling great, running nice and easy and relaxed, until about 55 minutes later when things suddenly turned sour.  I felt like I had asthma.  But I don't have asthma!  But my chest constricted and my lungs started to feel sore.  Is this what asthma feels like?  I was breathing easy until then, and I still wasn't gasping for breath, but it felt like a chore to breathe.  I stopped running, splashed myself with cold water, and coaxed myself to do just five more minutes to get to the hour.  It sucked.  The run was finished shortly after 7 am, and now it's almost seven hours later and my lungs still feel raw.  I had a 3 hr nap--twice as long as usual--and I woke up with a burning throat too, which subsided after I gargled with hot salt water.  That didn't help my lungs, though.

I've felt like this on a few days after my trip to work, and once while running outside in the morning, but this is the first time it's happened to me indoors.

I wasn't dehydrated and the room wasn't especially warm.  Yeah, I got only about 4-5 hrs of sleep, but that is pretty much normal, hence my daily nap.  What the heck?

I checked the weather--the air quality is moderate today, not bad.  I fancy that something in this place is unleashed when the high is about 37-38C--actually, I don't know if there's a correlation or not because we've had too many 37-38C days already and I was bound to feel subpar on at least a few of them.  But the days in the high thirties have been the worst.  The days above 40C have been significantly better!  More tiring but more comfortable.

And, of course, the 10 day forecast is a string of 37-39C days.  Didn't we just finish a heatwave?

So, what is there to look forward to?  The Olympics are in 10 days!  Ten days of heatwave and then a tangible reward at the end, and hopefully after two weeks of lying about in A/C and watching other people exert themselves, I will finally get some normal temps.


No comments: