Sunday, July 14, 2013

triple figures!

We're back.  Slept in until it felt too gross to run.  But it's never too hot to lift!  At least, not here.
After a stifling hour outside doing yardwork, I did leg exercises.  I actually didn't alter the routine except that I put the single squats back in because I'm having issues targeting quads.  The weakest links in squats are still my shoulders.  I'm investigating other exercises that I can do with the equipment I have (hack squats are a possibility) but, meanwhile...

squats--heavier
deadlifts--lighter, straight-ish leg
super light and straigher-leg deadlifts
pistol squats
single calf raises
goblet squats
heavier deadlifts
lunges
single leg butt bridge
clamshells

X 3 sets

I've been using the E-Z curl bar for the heavier deadlifts.  It weighs at least 10 pounds (EDIT: 15).  I put 90 pounds on today and it sure didn't feel like the first time I've lifted three digits.   Attention to form has paid off.  Stuff simply moved into alignment.  Hands on the bar, a slim moment of doubt, and then a blank mind, breath, and the same old motion I've done countless times before.  There is something so satisfying about harnessing the largest muscles in a predictable yet rigorous fashion, and the particular movement of deadlifts is strangely comforting as well.  There is the too approaching thrill of lifting more than I weigh--I'm not too far off that, and probably could do it for a single rep instead of  X 5.  Any day now.  What will that seem like?  Am I pouring too much anticipation into the event already?  Will it be just another number?

At any rate, I regret the loss of love in my squats.  They also have the potential for a thrilling burn, but I'm not getting it anymore.  Need more passion!  Need more weight! But I have to figure out how to hold it.  I don't have a barbell or squat rack.  I put 40 lbs on each dumbbell today and it was more than manageable below the waist, and uncomfortable above it.  Although, I had one bonehead moment where I adjusted the grip in one hand with a micro toss, and it landed even more uncomfortably and pinched a small blister, but I had to commit and finish the set.  It's a stupid habit that I do with the 5 and 10 lb dumbbells all the time, just sort of flick them into place...it doesn't work so well with 40 lbs.  One of these days, my steel-toed boots might have a field test.  At any rate, I have to find out how to get the magic back.

No comments: