Saturday, July 20, 2013

sudden doubts

The problem is, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  Once again, I woke up early enough for the magic hour, but there is no magic hour anymore.  25C and humid at 6:30.  My hopes for a long run melted into gooey inertia.  The relentless stretch of southern summer here at last.  I got off lightly: it's mid-July and not mid-May, but the warmth has sapped me.

But I'll escape it next week.  Northward bound!  Doing labs, visiting family and friends and cooler temps.   Those non-shin-sweat runs are so close.  How can I spare a single thought or mitochondrion for something so much more miserable?  There's only so much water I can stomach in a day.

Anyway, legs. 

Warm up: a load of clean and press. 
heavy squats
super light and straigher-leg deadlifts
pistol squats
single calf raises
goblet squats
heavy deadlifts
lunges
single leg butt bridge
clamshells
situps, pushups

The squats are finally feeling more focused.  I think the warm up helped: my shoulders were less of a weak link than usual.  Or maybe they're finally strong enough.  And I inched closer to my bodyweight goal on the deadlifts.  I have time for an attempt before I leave, I think.

However, during my second set of deadlifts, I doubted my breathing.  I thought about it, and I forgot what I usually do.  Do I inhale or exhale?  Both felt foreign.  Do I hold my breath?  Inhalation seemed marginally less awkward, but meanwhile, the weight was heavy and not to be trifled with.  I got through the third set alright, just alright.  Doubts slunk back.  This breathing confusion has happened to me before.  I get into a pattern that becomes second nature, and then I suddenly start wondering about it.  Very disconcerting.

I did a bunch of deadlifts at the end at a lighter weight to reset.  The lift happens during an exhalation after all, a slightly delayed and forceful exhalation.


2 comments:

Fran said...

Do lemons and lavender grow in your neck of the woods? I found a cool recipe: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/lavender_lemonade/

Might help you beat the heat. Good job on all the leg exercises. I could use a pinch of your dedication right about now!

cs said...

No, and yes, but yes! Looks fab! I'll keep my eye out for lavender--maybe I can plant some.
Thanks!