Sunday, July 21, 2013

The meat grinder

Oh, I've wrung a lot of what has been a somewhat low day.  Several G&Ts, late night, about 4 hours of sleep...worth it, I think, for it was a fun night.

First we jogged 3 miles to pick up the car...a slow, stiff run, but also an opportunity to run mostly downhill and not have to run back up.  It was the perfect run.  It was warm, about 25C, but overcast with a breeze.

Conditions remained refreshing for a few more hours: overcast, 27-28C, and so I took my bike out.  Couldn't waste the reprieve from the swelter.  24 miles in about 1:45 with a good, mostly leisurely pace.  I chose a route that avoided pretty much all sharp hills, but there were still some substantial ones.  Down to granny gear today.  No shame, no more. 

Of course, what comes up must come down, and my return trip involved a great descent. Up to amazing superhero gear, and everything working from my shoulders down to my core and to my glutes and quads--I've never felt everything so in sync on a bike before--and, man, I wish I knew how fast I was going, because it was great.  It felt faster than 32 mph (the fastest I've gone with my husband who has a bike computer).  Lifting a hand to wave at the poor biker going up the opposite way nearly tipped the balance.  It was thrilling stuff.  I've done this route a few times now, and I keep meaning to coast down to save some juice for the following ascent but, nope.  It's a terrific road designed for speed (goes up to 55 mph at the end) and often virtually empty.

Overall, a nice bike ride.  I did get honked at while in the traffic circle which didn't bug me at the time, but afterward sunk in as being kind of aggressive, especially since almost nobody ever honks here.  Maybe they were just letting me know that they were passing?  I was in such a good mood that I assumed the best.  They had space to pass, and I just waved at them.  Whatever.  The circle is well-designed, roomy and easy (and a nifty way to turn around and go home), and I have every right to use it.  However, I think it's nerve-wracking for some drivers, and my presence there compounds it.   Beats me.  I'd rather have traffic circles than four-way stops, or lights.  I've found a few lights so far that are on sensors, which I'm too light to trigger.  So, essentially, I have to wait for a gap or a car to pull up next to me.  lol

Afterward, I mortared for two hours.  This stage is almost done, thank goodness.  It was not a picnic in full sun in 32C...I did some one evening when it was shady and cooler, but the mosquitoes were out then.

And then I did arms.  Same workout, except clean and presses thrown in, a couple of the tricep exercises taken out, and no daily double.  The garage was a sauna by then. 

I've had three showers today! 

1 comment:

Fran said...

That's a lot of shower power!