Wednesday, July 17, 2013

~

No run this morning.  There was no way I could've woken up early enough.  It was 25C and almost 100% humidity at 6:30 am.

The dog wasn't keen on moving, either, so I slept in and then did weights.  Legs!  And the daily double interjected.  I could've delayed this and the tempo run a day, but I'm hoping to get three complete cycles of weights in before I leave for a few weeks and leave the worst of this long summer behind.   At this point, skipping a tempo run is neither here nor there.   Might as well just lift fresh.

I made absolutely no changes to the workout.  I'm still not 100% satisfied with the order, but I have to step back and let it sit.   The squats were better and I felt them a bit more in my quads by going a bit past 90 degrees, but I'm having issues with grip.   I'm fine with a slightly different grip for deadlifts, but that doesn't quite work with the squats.  Calluses are ok, but not when they get pinched.  This is too much of a distraction.  Maybe there's some rotation happening.  Maybe I need to put the gloves back on.  More research required!

However, I finally cracked the code of the lunges.  I've always disliked lunges.  For years, they've been the cod liver oil of my leg work.  However, this morning, I found out that pointing my back foot ever so slightly inward makes things much more comfortable. 

There was also an interesting psych during the deadlifts.  At one point, my gaze casually drifted to the plates on the right side of the bar--and doubts slammed me instantly.  It was as if I'd seen those plates for the first time.  Magical garage gym fairies snuck in and loaded my bar while my back was turned. What? Can't lift all that.  But I have been!  So I had to calm myself down.  Trust the large muscles and good alignment.  They're there.  Just breathe.

I like the critical moment at the very beginning when the mass makes itself known.  So many doubts to power past in the quarter blink of an eye.  The next instant, muscle and momentum kick in and the mass evaporates.

No comments: