Wednesday, July 3, 2013

rain

A deluge this morning reinforced my urge to take a day off from running.  I revamped my shoulder workout (again).  The newest new development has been ditching the gloves.  My calluses are thick enough now, and the gloves were too big and sometimes interfered with grip, especially with deadlifts.  Plus I dislike putting the gloves on and taking them off.  A small but annoying thing that spurred me to organize my workouts to minimize it, when my primary concern should have been maximizing performance.

Dumbbell shoulder press (5)
Bent over rows, single arm(5)
deltoid raises, side front, back(5)
shoulder curl(?)(5)
bar rear delt row(5)
shrugs(5)
Cuban press(5)
Iron cross(5)
lying one-arm lateral raise(5)
rotator cuff exercises(10)

3.5ish sets.  I did four sets of the shoulder presses and deltoid raises because those are the most important.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to learn about the deltoid back raises!   Using 10 lbs for the front and side raises has become honest and targeted, no rising on my toes or whatever, and I'm at the point of adding a pound or two with wrist weights.  However, I couldn't do even one back raise with 10 lb. And as for the shoulder curl, or whatever it's called (I'm still looking), it pretty much replicates my arm motion during running, that's all.  Elbow kept at 90 degrees, arms kept parallel to body, and swung back and forth.  Rather, pushed up forward, and then released.  Although I'm digging all this newfound weight lifting knowledge, my primary goal is, apart from being able to lift heavy stuff in Real Life, to tear through the woods like a beast. 

No daily double...maybe later.  I was sore.

edit: ten miles biking 

No comments: