Friday, July 26, 2013

Impromptu long run

Still in Calgary.  Temps ranged from amazingly refreshing to still darn reasonable (13-20 C?).  Total: 18.5ish miles in about 3 hrs.  20.7 miles total (I walked the last two uphill.)

My original intent was to jog down to the river the long way, maybe go as far as downtown, then take another way back up.  Total, maybe 2 hours and a bit.  Well, once I got to downtown, I got hungry.  I bought a couple of gels at the Running Room there (very inspired location, a half block away from the rec pathways, and steps from a public washroom) and then I started the hunt for a food truck.  Oh, and I got a freebie coconut water drink at the RR.  It was a latte flavour.  I don't like coconut water.  But it was free and it tasted less objectionable than others I've tried, and it probably helped keep me pumped.

They were gearing up for a big folk music festival, but this was still mid-morning and stuff was not yet ready.  But there were smells in the air.  I considered getting some bubble tea, but the smells of nascent cooking enticed me to other avenues.  And to disappointments.  Countless food trucks and carts not yet ready for business.  One guy was so apologetic: his hotdogs were still frozen.  So I glided about downtown among the suits.  My kingdom for a hotdog! I had to have a hotdog.  Or something freshly cooked without gluten.  The streets were cool and shaded by highrises and the concrete was hard and responsive, and I was buoyed by the prospect of a meal.  I spent more time waiting at lights than running.  I flew, I think.  I slayed blocks.   It felt great.  And then hopes faded, and I prepared to turn back.

But, wait.  A sixth sense pinged me away from the planned route.  Don't give up yet.

I found a more enterprising small business owner on 7th and 7th.  He had his stuff ready to go.  He even gave me a 50 cent discount because I didn't need a bun.  And the hotdog was generous.  I slathered it in mustard and chowed down for a block or two, and then I resumed running.

I needed a bathroom.  Sadly, my 2nd trip on this run.  I'm not used to sweating so little!  Unfortunately, I don't know downtown Calgary that well, but a bit of a backtrack to the bathroom outside the RR store wasn't a big deal.

And then, the long return.  A few "shortcuts" fell foul, and eventually I found myself going back the way I'd come.  To the bottom of a long series of uphills leading from the river to a ridge.

I made it up 400 ft; the last 200, I walked.  And back home.  I was starting to feel a bit sore by this point, and it was nicer to stroll up in the sunlight.

Sadly, the folk music festival is sold out!

No comments: