Friday, October 3, 2008

Too much on my plate!

Ok, let's see....yesterday (Thursday), I worked in the morning and an evening shift, and jogged with the dog in between for five-ish miles.

Today, I had only the morning job...although I had taken the day completely off but there was a mix up and I found out on Wednesday that they were hard up for a replacement. Ordinarily, I would just tell them to suck it up (but politely), but I like the clients and would have felt bad about them getting their day mucked up. Anyway, I have reconfirmed that I will be gone for a week in November, and that's that. Leaving the country ~

So, I didn't get to sleep in, which I really needed. I felt cruddy and worried that my cold was returning. However, after the shift, I felt better, so I grabbed the dog and we jogged for 8.68 miles. nice.

And then I ate, studied, napped....and then got up for speedwork. It did not go well. It was 200M repeats, 2X (5X 200M). Usually 200M repeats are my favourite, but a combo of factors made me quit after the 6th repeat.

41 seconds
40s
40s
40s
40s

These were fine. And then the break, 4 minutes, and I got cold...

45s.

I felt like crap. Actually felt like I was going to crap my pants, but things seized up in general and it was wrong. It wasn't the usual sort of speedwork pain.

I'm short on sleep.
Conversely, I had been napping--probably needed more time to wake up and get things moving.
I was underdressed--often I am, but the long waits in between sprints chilled me.
I've just gotten over a cold, knock wood.
Even though my run this morning was easy, and certainly not longer than other runs I've done on speedwork days, maybe it was still too much considering my somewhat drained state these days.

So, I'll go about things differently next time I do sprints. I'll be working next Friday evening, though, and I don't know after that. Maybe my body is tired of doing sprints, anyway. Last 2 times I trained for a marathon, I did short speedwork for the first bit, and then moved to longer intervals. This time it has been different, doing both every week...maybe that's not the best option for me. Will see how it goes.

And I really have to cut back on things in general. Workwise, that is. This marathon is going to happen no matter what, and so are my courses. I'm essentially working overtime with the jobs I have and, on the one hand, it's been great getting some experience in the field I'm studying towards, and I like the work conditions in general, moving around a lot and juggling things and so forth. But I'm starting to get really bored where I'm at....sometimes it gets crazy, but it's the same old crazy and I'm not learning much more anymore. Having said that, I've probably jinxed myself. We'll see how exciting my next shifts will be.

Anyway, speedwork, including running there, and back, and all: 7ish miles.

No comments: