Sunday, October 12, 2008

SUNDAY

I got about 5.5 hrs of sleep...didn't feel like getting up. Not sure what it was about work that revved me up so that I didn't fall asleep until close to 3. I've stopped drinking their coffee, and I switched to my own green tea, and nothing exciting happened either...in fact, I felt lethargic pretty much the whole shift. And then 11 pm rolled around and suddenly I was wide awake. It might be the air in there. Or lack of. Anyway, I wanted to sleep in. Since we were going to the cottage later in the morning, though, I knew that if I didn't get up and run with the group, I wouldn't run at all. Which would be ok, but I'd already decided that Tuesday would be a rest day, and not Sunday, lol. So I scraped myself off the bed at the last possible minute. I drank a cup of soymilk, that was all I had time for.

I knew I wouldn't do the long-long run, and I felt bad leaving one of my marathon buddies to do it all on his own. Neo-gazelle #1 was away too. I was actually going to run maybe 10K easy, but the weather was great and somehow I got more energy and I ended up hanging with Neo-gazelle #2 for about five miles, which were faster than my marathon pace but it felt fine. Very encouraging, especially after my tempo run attempt yesterday. Then I left him and went back home. 12.09 miles in total.

I will attempt the long run tomorrow. It's supposed to be 30K, with 15K at race pace. I'm a little freaked out, mainly because I'm not really feeling what race pace is supposed to feel like. 8:20ish a mile??? That just doesn't fit in with anything. Either I run more quickly or more slowly. 1/2 marathon pace is something I don't have to think about, same with speedwork...but I've been pretty poor at pacing for marathons (and 10ks, lol)....this time should be a little easier because the pace is perhaps a little conservative, so I can relax a little more. I guess I just have to coast around and see how my breathing and everything else feels when I'm moving at around 8:20/mile. And then remember on race day that all the excitement will jack that up, anyway, so I have to move more slowly than it feels like I should. Lesson #434 learnt the hard way.

At any rate, I'm going to try to be more consistent with my workouts. I've been good until this week, but it seems like I'm starting to mix things up, cut things short here, do more there, run faster one day because it feels good, and then slog through the next tough workout, if not cut it short....not good.

No comments: