Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happy Hallowe'en

Well, preparations have come early this year! I'm working on a zombie costume, and it'll be 100% natural. Ok, I'm really short on sleep. Again. These past 3 nights have all been in the 4-5 hour/night range, and though I got to nap yesterday and today, that wasn't quite enough. Fortunately, work will be pretty darn light for the next while, so I can catch up.

So, Monday and Tuesday were very light running days, a few miles here and there with the dog, and jogging to work. Total, 8ish miles for the two days, I guess.

Today was 19.2 miles. First, 10.33ish miles with the dog--crazy weather! There was that melting snow smell too (snow + pollutants, I believe) that brings me back to my childhood, all those clammy hours in the schoolyard. Anyway, the dog and I got out after my morning job before all the snow melted, and jogged for almost a couple of hours. The path by the river was already clear.

Evening was speedwork, about 8.87 miles total. Today was 'tough', 4-6-8-6-4 min at 10K pace. Now, I have done just 3 10Ks, and none of them particularly well, and I was feeling sort of dull and unmotivated again (at least in terms of thinking) so I went with the flow of 'comfortably hard'.

4 min @ 7:17/mile
6 min @ 7:13
8 min @ 6:57
6 min @ 6:49
4 min @ 6:36

I was mostly on my own for these; nobody else near my pace. It was dark and windy. I was tired. All this actually helped: it was going to be somewhat miserable no matter what, and the inevitability got me into that robot mode where I accept the discomfort and just crank out whatever. I'm pleased with what I did tonight.

Next up: a few days of easy jogging and then the last monster run. And THEN the spa!!

No comments: