Friday, December 26, 2008

Still recovering

In the interests of humour, I've decided that I'm suffering from lower-ass trauma, or LAT. It's a bit lower anatomically, but, hey! It's mostly a hamstring pull--on both sides, but I'm still stiff in other places, so it's more than a hamstring pull. I'm not really sure. And it's curious that the damage seems to be mostly in my hamstrings. Other parts were hurting a lot more during the class. One of my hamstrings got a little sore at the end of my run after my yoga class, and so I stopped running and I was fine. Perhaps the class relaxed them too much to withstand the forces of running, and maybe the ordeal of the class--it was pretty transcending--somewhat numbed me to what was going on in my body afterwards. I didn't run right after, but I definitely still felt relaxed when I did set out. And, honestly, it was a slow and stiff run from the get go, but I didn't think anything of it because I've done tons of easy recovery runs in that condition. However, there might have been a subtle difference...when I'm battling illness, even when it's not yet apparent, runs feel ever so slightly duller and heavier...I'm not bring fresh blood to sore/repairing muscles so much as not activating so many muscles to begin with. My body is cocooning. It's hard to explain, and it's a slight difference, but definite. If I do the 'sick' recovery run, I usually feel just as crappy as the day after, as opposed to the 'sore' recovery run, which almost always paves the way to a successful harder workout the day after. Perhaps I failed to recognize the 'sick' recovery run for what it was, and so I went longer than I would, 5.5 miles or whatever instead of 2 or 3. And, thus, LAT!

Anyway, I'm still not running, but I'm eating and resting lots, though! And walking is easier.

Unfortunately, I'm not sleeping as much as I should. I'm not getting tired enough. I feel better, but I think that if I could sleep more, my recovery would be quicker. So it's frustrating.

At any rate, I'm enjoying my last day off.

No comments: