Saturday, December 13, 2008

Girding up for battle

I've run about 5.32 miles so far today, to a fun 5K prediction run, the 5K run, and then home. It was pretty interesting running a 5K in -19C. Plus, my calves are still a little sore (but definitely better) and I'm having GI issues majorly. The dull roar of the past month seems to be getting worse (this morning was awful and I'm still sore) so I am considering seeing my doctor. The thing is, I haven't seen her in a while because I've been away, and my doctor in the States wasn't really willing to consider a holistic approach to whatever it is that's my problem, be it dietary changes or meditation, or whatever. I'm kind of pessimistic about it. The medication I was on for a year helped, but after a while it was losing its effect. I don't want to be on something that I become dependent on; I'd rather make changes to my life. At the same time, though I know what my trigger foods are, roughly, and what I should avoid, there might be something innocuous that I'm nevertheless allergic to, and it would help greatly to sort that out.

I gave up dairy about a week ago, just to see if that would help matters, but they're worse. So lactose intolerance isn't my big problem. I don't even know if I'm lactose tolerant...both my sibs are, but I usually drink a lot of milk. And there have been times where I stayed off of dairy (particularly in Asia) and still had issues. I'll stay off it for a few more days to be sure, though.

And after going through my anatomy test on the digestive system, I realized that I wasn't chewing my food as much as I should--turns out that chewing releases an enzyme which helps digest carbs, and this happens in the mouth--so I'm trying to be more conscious of that and less in a hurry.

And maybe I need to get back into Qigong, or at least do the movements having to do with the digestive region. Won't be hard to add that to the morning routine.

And STRESS...well, there's only so much I can do, but I'm working on it.

So, anyway, I ran the 5K in 23:33, which is about a minute and a half slower than it should be for me, but better than I thought I'd manage today. I also did core exercises and 2 sets of pushups so far.

edit: 8.48 miles total today and 6 sets of pushups....yes, I've busted my net curfew (netfew?) once again.

No comments: