Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A crappy end to a crappy year

Mind you, 2008 did have its high point--my husband, dog, and I had a fabulous road trip in Feb-March...but even that was tarnished by the looming deployment, and it didn't quite make up for spending pretty much 3/4 of the year apart from the man I love.

Still, I got some stuff done, got my career change/re-education started, at least, and I got my eyes fixed. No more legal blindness! And I got to see a whole lot more of my family, and I joined a great running club, and had a few really good races, the Hypothermic 1/2, the Hintonburg 5K and the Army Run, and then also a few 'learning experiences'. This whole year has been a pretty good learning experience altogether. But there's no denying that it took a big chunk out of me.

Which is why I'm at home typing (and blowing my nose) while the Resolution Run is going on. I'd planned to go--I'd also planned to nap after work, but instead finished a bio assignment which was pretty exciting...and then my throat got sore, I got lethargic and sniffly, and, around 5:30, I crashed. Woke up around 6:05. I wanted to go running, wanted to see my friends, but I've just recovered from my inflammatory fever, and so, no.

Which leads me to new years resolution #1--don't cut things so damned close! I've had so many short nights of sleep, it isn't funny. Yeah, the first 1/2 of the deployment does inspire casting oneself in the crucible, and I got through that, and then that darned fever came on and now I'm cleansed. or something. I can relax a bit more now. Stay tuned for work developments...reducing the split shift, at least, hopefully. This is the third time I've had a split shift--seems like I'm good for about six months and then that's it.

Meanwhile, resolution #2....tighten up the schedule! meaning, get back on the morning routine, observe the netfew, plus no caffeine at my evening job AND no snacking afterwards! Is it any wonder that I've been up until 2 or 3 these past few nights? LOL

resolution #3.....enjoy running and races more! Less pressure about pace. Who the heck cares except for me? LOL. Dare I leave my watch behind at races and immerse myself totally in the experience, not numbers? I'm seriously considering this. It'll be kind of weird, but the Hypo Half is coming up so I can give it a good try then, if I dare.

resolution #4....go to the doctor! geez, I feel guilty about using resources seeing as I'm still more active than most people, but knowing all these old people who get a medivac and hospital stay just for UTIs has kind of made me realise that, shoot, what are my few tests but a drop in the bucket? LOL.

So, there it is. Hopefully 2009 will be better. 2008 will end with some Chinese food with my parents and maybe The Spirit of the Marathon (part of my husband's Christmas gift to me :)

1 comment:

Nat said...

Happy New Year. I hope you get your man home soon. (I go a bit nuts without The Man in the house.)

I wish you many happy miles in 2009.