Tuesday, December 23, 2008

:(...more of the same

I didn't get much sleep, about 4hrs again--took me a while to drop off after a busy evening shift, and then I got woken up earlier than early because of an emergency at my morning job. I'm pretty ripped to shreds--i can't even touch my toes! lol. So there was more squatting and less bending over at my evening job, which is supposedly better anyway, and fortunately there seemed to be less lifting and carrying than normal. Still a busy shift, though. It's pretty hard to walk today because i'm still stiff all over, but more of the pain/tightness seems to be around my hamstrings. I'm continuing to stretch and massage those--gently!--as well as my quads. Laughing baby pose, as sickeningly 'precious' as that sounds, feels really good.

Fortunately, I don't have to work anywhere again until Saturday, so I'll be sleeping lots. :) :) :) If that isn't enough, then I'll go to the clinic. I have a slight fever, but this sort of thing has happened before, including during my husband's last deployment: sleep debt + infection = fever/stiffness/wide-scale inflammation. Six months in instead of seven, and nowhere as much dough to show for the long hours, but I haven't gotten to the falling asleep while standing and/or talking stage, and I have just a sore throat, no tonsil or sinus infection. so it's an improvement over last time. Just have to rest and eat anti-oxidants or whatever. Fresh fruit, mostly, but I actually tried Vega today, the 'Natural' flavour. Um...the thing is, as much as I love eating seaweed (really!) anything in liquid form that remotely reminds me of it makes me gag. I got most of it down, though, and will try one of the non-'Natural' flavours next time.

At least I almost made it through 2008 without getting injured! No big deal if I don't run again this year, which might happen. I doubt I'll be taking a stab at BQing in the spring. I have a full marathon in February, but without any time goals and my fitness from the fall will go a long way in preparing for that--I'll probably just do one 30+K run sometime in late January or early February. And, if my schedule permits, I'd like to do the Ottawa full or 1/2 marathon. And I would like to maintain a good weekly mileage, whatever that means. I'll see what I can handle. And I want to be more regular with cross-training. I'll be refining my goals for 2009 over the next week.

2 comments:

Nat said...

I know stress is a factor. But I also know taht there is a flu virus going around. (My throat's been sore too.)

cs said...

I hope your throat feels better soon. I'm feeling better today, after sleeping umpteen hours. I don't think it's the flu, at any rate, but, yeah, it's going around. will see!