Tuesday, September 23, 2008

why does this site work, and not my course site?

I'm trying my best to not procrastinate, but....

Anyway, I tore myself out of bed this morning, got through my short morning shift, and then I was done for the day. A nice feeling. Went home, really wanted to go back to bed, but I was good and grabbed the dog and we went.

I chose the wrong pair of shoes. It's getting to that point where I really need to order more.

My stable:

3 pair of Puma prevails...newest pair (a year old??) on the verge of being retired, and 2 older pairs already demoted to job footwear (which works great because I wear down the fore/middfoot padding when running, and leave the heels fluffy for walking).

2 pair of Asics Trail attacks, one of them over 2 yrs old, I think, and battered to slipper suppleness, almost, lol, and actually still good for jogging to work in the morning and the odd easy run (tsk!). The other pair is maybe 8 months old and relatively unused. These were the shoes I wore today, and they were a poor choice. Still stiff and clunky, but perhaps only in comparison to my other shoes.

1 pair of Puma waterproof trail shoes (forget the model name)...worn 1 winter, and good for another. I will probably buy another pair soon.

1 pair of Nike Frees, bought a while ago. Still comfy.

1 pair of NB 826s. Wonderful shoes, but a lot of miles on them these past 8 months (bought with the newer pair of Attacks). I would buy this model again in a heartbeat except that NB has tightened the reins on cross-border shipping, so I'd have to pay $130 or something like that. I'd rather pay a little more and get 2 pairs of shoes. I'm going to have to pay shipping, anyway, because stores here don't seem to carry the sort of shoes I like.

At any rate, my NB shoes aren't going to last through the marathon training. I need something light and comfy....unfortunately, Puma prevails are between models, or otherwise unavailable, but they have another shoe which, despite its sickly appearance, looks to be what I want. Can I stomach light pink shoes? yes. Option 2 is a pair of yellow shoes, score, but unisex sizing, which could work...I have to think about it.

At any rate, what prompted all of this was remembering my run: clunking in those trail attacks. My legs were stiff, like the rest of me, and those shoes really didn't help. I was trying to keep things loose and easy, and not let my feet stay too long on the ground, without pushing myself too much aerobically....well, after about a mile and a half, I felt everything slide into place. Of course, this meant it was time to drop the kids off at the park, and after I'd stooped and scooped, I was stiff again. We carried on, the dog and I, and my mind really started to wander. I was forgetting where I was, that I was running, even. It was a bit bizarre. I don't usually disassociate that much--never run with music, for example. But, I guess I was tired of running.

It was a good buzz and then some lady busted it. We were on a bike path, and she was headed for us, and apparently glaring. It seemed to be mostly directed at the dog, as though she was staring him down. The thing was, she was on our side of the path--the wrong side for her.

Sometimes people run on the wrong side, on the grass, whenever one side has more room or less slope than the other. She was on the pavement, though, and fierce. I got a bit steamed, actually. If she was worried about my dog, why didn't she just return to her side, thus putting me between her and the dog?? And why was she on the wrong side, anyway? Maybe she had been plowed by a bike once, and I've seen that happen, but to someone who had been walking on the wrong side!

At any rate, she raised my hackles and discoloured the rest of my run. And I dislike that when that happens. She wasn't worth the powder. However, it was worth considering.

1. maybe she wasn't glaring at all, and that was her hard workout face (heaven help her if she always looks like that!). No, she wasn't going particularly fast, but who am I to judge? I wasn't going fast, either, and it could be that I was glaring too in discomfort...

2. In which case, maybe her expression was a mirror of mine. But why did I feel so threatened?

3. Probably because she wasn't following a very simple but extremely helpful rule. I'm all for thinking outside the ovoid, but clunking up the flow like that sucks. Something about her glare was very antagonistic. It could be totally unconscious, or maybe she enjoys putting others offguard. My dog does one of the two, I suspect. During this run, we met 2 dogs, and both lunged and growled at him. He hadn't made a peep. However, he has a very direct stare, and whether he employs this consciously or not, it probably gets more of a reaction than a tired expression would.

4. She really is a low-grade sort of shitheel who likes to mess with people's emotions and/or doesn't give a crap about anything or anyone else.

5. The poor woman recently underwent chemotherapy and is still in a lot of discomfort.

At any rate, the dog and I jogged seven miles.

2 comments:

Nat said...

Dogs freak me out on the path but if you were running with your dog, it's obviously well behaved enough to take it. There is no need to glare. (And yeah, I'm the slow runner but I'm friendly too.)

I don't get why she was on the wrong side of the path either... very odd.

cs said...

It was odd...I think there was more to it than meets the eye. There was a pretty bad vibe around her. Yeah, she was on the wrong side of the path, but I've seen people do odder/stupider things and didn't think about it much. I keep thinking about her, though...I wonder if she'd had a really bad day and that jacked up her cardiac electro-magnetic field. Apparently we can sense this in others, when something's way wrong.

Anyway, as for dogs...I'm sorry to hear that they freak you out, but not surprised. Most of the dogs I see make me a bit uncertain, too. So many of them have pulled their owners over and blocked our path, or barked/lunged/growled at us. And I really don't understand flexi-leashes. The dog that pulls all over to do whatever he wants is NOT the type of dog that should be on that leash!