Sunday, September 28, 2008

Free!

My goodness, this past week has been hard, especially the last three days, both morning and evening jobs. I still have this cold, too.

Friday, I ran to my morning job, so about .5 of a mile, and then after it, I grabbed the dog and we rolled. Unfortunately, he was not giving 110% or even two digits, lol, so I left him at home after about 5 miles and an hour of running/walking/pretending to poop but really sniffing things. Yeah, he's recently gotten into this bad habit, faking poopy, but finally I gave up on seeing any kids dropped off at the park, and refused to let him stop until it was convenient for me. He shaped up after a couple of sharp 'no's. His feelings are sometimes easily bruised.

Anyway, I considered staying in the house with him and getting a longer nap, but I was so worked up, I needed to run. Did another 6.5ish miles in about an hour, and that made me feel better. Tired me out for the evening shift, though.

And then I had to tutor this morning...I woke up feeling pretty cruddy. At first, it felt like the cold had started to move to my chest. After tutoring, though, I felt much better. I took the dog for a short 2.5ish mile jog, and then I ate and napped and returned to my evening job. And it went well.

I am so glad I'm through these past few days...they had been weighing on my mind.
The weird thing is, I don't mind the work I do. I actually like most of it--I wish I got paid more, of course, but I enjoy the company of most of the people I'm with, and I've gotten into a rhythm and am mainly left to follow my own lead. However, I don't like being an emotional punching bag sometimes...well, not at all, but usually I consider the source (senility, usually, with a healthy dash of paranoia sometimes, or repressed anger) and just shrug it off. But the combo of being sick, low on sleep, recovering from a race, and working overtime made me more emotionally fragile. Not to the point where I believed that I was whatever a few patients called me, but definitely near the boiling point. Yesterday was especially hard for some reason. I couldn't bear to think that I had to return so soon.

Today went a lot more smoothly, and knowing that I had just a few hours left at the end was nearly pure bliss. Now I'm happily procrastinating studying, and I am delirious with the thought of SLEEPING IN TOMORROW. I suspect my Sunday Long Run will happen on Monday.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Wow, you're so nonchalent and buddha-like about the punching bag treatment.

As for ways to combat it...you've read Flowers in the Attic? har har! jk

See ya soon, gazzie.

cs said...

LOL, funnily enough, it was a Buddhist who told me how to deal with unreasonable people: pity them for their ignorance. That stops me from ripping off their heads for about 5.35 seconds, enough time to run away, and keep running...

Don't tell me all the girls in your grade 8 class read Flowers in the Attic too! not part of the official curriculum, but man...the stuff I read that year...

Until Wed ~