Wednesday, September 3, 2008

So I looked at the forecast...

And it'll be just about as hot for the next two days. wah wah wah

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of the way...

I did check the humidity today, and it was only about 10% more humid, but it really made a difference. Fortunately, my morning shift was cancelled, so I got out early with the dog and we jogged about 7 miles before it got too sticky. This was good....I doubt that we'll get much more than four miles, if that, tomorrow between my shifts and the weather, and Friday might not be much better.

And there was speedwork in the evening! Mile repeats. It was about 29C/32C when we started but fortunately shady where we were. And it dropped about a degree during the workout, I think. What didn't help was the path being pretty crowded, but that's to be expected on a hot day such as today: probably lots of people delayed their exercise until that crucial window when it's cooler but still light. LOL

Anyway, I had to do a fair bit of dodging/weaving around people, but I think I was still fairly consistent. The one thing that irked me about the weaving was having to pass people on roller blades. Dude, you're on wheels! But this is still better than being stuck behind someone on roller blades. Their butts usually seem to be in my face. Not on purpose...little do they know....

Anyhoo~

6:57
7:04
6:59
6:48
6:55

I think my workout yesterday helped a LOT...after the first 2 repeats, I got into that dull state again where discomfort seemed to matter less. I'm trying to figure out how to describe it. It's like going on autopilot, but without slowing down. I accept the discomfort. Man, that sounds too deep. The 4th repeat was faster probably because I was behind some faster people, and I could almost keep up....I knew that they were taking that one easier because they'd talked about it, but it was a bit of a boost to almost keep up with them. I was on my own for the 5th, but that one had that last-one-boost.

Putting these miles in this heat sure helps my confidence. I keep saying that I feel almost like I was before I had my abdominal mishap...well, I think I have recovered fully for sure. The test will be putting a few sub-7 miles together. When I do that, I'll know I've made it. And then it'll be even more exciting: the territory beyond.

Meanwhile, there's still a couple of harder workouts...the week in general is hard. I've done over 45 miles already. Finishing off the mileage won't be hard...doing Sunday's workout will be, though.

No comments: