Wednesday, August 13, 2008

training is paying off

I think all those easy miles are paying off.

This morning, I jogged about 5 miles with the dog. It was ok, he was well behaved, but....I've realized why I usually don't fancy running with him. Oh, this is so unfair! The poor guy can't even read, much less access the net, and here I am slagging him. Anyway, I often feel sort of stiff when I first start a run. It takes me a mile or two to get into it, and then I start getting into the zone....and, meanwhile, at this time, my dog usually gets the urge to drop the kids off at the park. So, just as I'm entering that stage where running is an agreeable alternative to walking, I have to stop, crouch, etc. Plus he needs more breaks than usual due to the hotter weather.

Oh, well, it's good for him, and we do have good runs, and it's no big deal to share the easy workouts with him. In fact, I suspect that this relaxed break-ful running has helped me through the tough weeks. Like this week...I've already nearly run 50 miles and I still have 3 days to go.

Anyway, this evening, I did speedwork. 8.12 miles in total. I was a bit apprehensive about that workout (as with most long interval workouts!). It was a pyramid workout, 4-5-6-5-4 minutes. Also, it was sunny and fairly warm this evening, and I was worried about feeling crappy.

My legs during the warm-up were heavy. But once the speed portions started, I felt ok. There were usually people ahead of me to trail/latch onto, and with them ahead, I could shut part of my brain off and just concentrate on keeping things loose. It was hard, but I stayed at an effort I could maintain without killing myself, and it went by quickly.

1: .58 mile @ 7:04/mile
2: .70 mile @ 7:09/mile
3: .88 mile @ 6:51/mile
4: .73 mile @ 6:49/mile
5: .61 mile @ 6:40/mile

I'm really happy with this, especially considering the intervals had a fair number of turns and weren't entirely on the flat.

I am still a little daunted by my goal--to BQ--especially since it seems that I have enough endurance and speed but no stamina these days, and stamina is what I need. However, things have been going so well that I feel more encouraged. This is, after all, the third of three harder weeks. Just 3 more sets of this to go...not hard and, at the same time, plenty of time for the needed stamina to kick in. I just have to trust the training and continue to keep my easy days easy.

No comments: