Sunday, August 17, 2008

long run Sunday

I was tired this morning! But I knew that if I didn't get up early with the group, I would loll about the house too long and end up missing the run altogether. My knee felt fine so I figured I was good to go.

It was sunny and too warm for my liking, 20-23C...so I had stomach cramps. I usually get them when it's above 20C, but it hasn't been that bad this summer; I've been lucky. And our path wasn't totally on concrete/asphalt, and a lot of it was shady...it was nice.

I ran just over an hour with a few others, and then they turned back and I kept going for longer. I took one bottle of water, and 1 gel--had 1/2 at about 1:45, and the rest around 2:25, I think. That worked well and I felt 'even' during the run...the end wasn't much worse than the beginning apart from being hotter, and I didn't feel like my head was detaching. Lol, but I used to feel sort of spacey near the end of 3 hr runs in the past. Not enough glycogen fueling my brain. This run was a lot more comfortable mentally. Physically, too, it was non-descript. Every so often, I'd have a little glitch here or there, something tightening up, but nothing I couldn't shake after a few minutes of trying to readjust my form/loosen up.

Total run: 20.74 miles in 3:13. Decent pace, especially considering there were a few walk breaks. I think skipping speedwork on Friday made a HUGE difference...my legs were fresh and not tired like the last two weeks. I'm still going to stick with the sprints, mostly: maybe every few weeks I'll skip them and try to push more on the long run, like I did today. Maybe there will even be some MP sections in the future. Not sure.

Oh, there was one dark moment at about 18-19 miles....I had to go through a busy part, lots of tourists....so I stuck to the edge of the sidewalk between the lampposts and road. It was clear, and then this great cow stepped out with her camera, facing me. I yelled 'excuse me' and she just stood there watching me...and then I tried to go around her, but she turned and I was nudged into the road by her purse. Time to change the batteries, twat! LOL.

Anyway, it was a good run. I had a nap afterwards and then a few cups of coffee at work. Needed them. Fortunately, my knee is fine. I was a bit worried because I spend a lot of time going up and down stairs, but it's fine. The next two days will be easy. I might not even bother running tomorrow, will see.

No comments: