Friday, August 22, 2008

Almost needed my brown trousers

Gosh, it was hot today...like 29C/35C humidex. We had speedwork and my guts were already sore in that special hot-weather way from the jog over there.

Basically, we did a bunch of 1 min intervals with 60S rest except every 4th one, which was a few minutes.
Mine were at
5:59/mile
2 min@7:44 (oops, forgot to hit the lap button)
6:05
5:53
6:15
5:41
6:00
5:47
5:29
5:53
6:01
6:10

These were in sets of four...the first set was pretty consistent, and then i started to really suffer. Didn't crap my pants, but it was kind of feeling like that. I hate that sensation. And I thank my luck that I'm up here, and not down south...maybe there will be a few more weeks of it here, and not another couple of months. KNOCK WOOD!

So, anyway, it was a hard workout, especially since I'm low on sleep (again). Probably the Garmin isn't as accurate over short (relatively, lol) fast bursts, but my mental focus was partly to blame for the variation. I'd hit on something that worked, ie, focusing on the people in front of me, or counting, and then it would wear out after a couple of reps and I'd have to switch to something else. There were a few times I focused on form, too....can't remember if those were the faster paces or the slower ones. There were a few that went really well--I felt loose and full of drive--and there were a few that were really hard. The last couple in particular. Too bad I slowed down, but my stomach cramps were getting worse.

It really helped having the group there--I would never have done this on my own, especially in heat like that. I love being in a running group and hanging out with the others and I will definitely miss them when we move.

As for the pace...it was similar to the last time I did 400M repeats on my own, but those were fewer, and in cooler weather. And it helped not having to think about it at all. I got into this dull zone where I didn't have a choice.

Total was about 8.3 miles. Amazing how things add up for speedwork. I might run tomorrow, might not...I've already taken 2 days off this week and am up over 40 miles. Seems fine for a recovery week, but if the dog is peppy, we might go for a few miles before it becomes stinking hot again.

2 comments:

Nat said...

Maybe I should join a group. These summer runs are kicking my ass.

cs said...

Summer is brutal. Definitely, being with a group helps, or even running where there are other runners, and latching onto someone ahead of you. There were a couple of guys ahead of me and that helped a lot. That's pretty much how I've been getting through my speedwork these past few weeks: letting faster runners sort of tow me. lol.
Anyway, hang in there--just a few weeks left of this. You'll feel so much better when it gets cooler. It'll be thrilling :)