Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rest day!

No running today, just a short walk with the dog.
In fact, I didn't do much of anything, as it is my 'weekend'. :) I studied and did a test for one of my courses, and ate, and rested, and watched some more of the Olympics...that was pretty much it.

I thought about a short jog, but the soleus issue isn't completely gone, so I figured I might as well stretch/massage that, and let it heal some more. Tomorrow is speedwork, and I might jog with the dog in the morning and see how things feel.

It's funny....I've rarely had issues with my left side of my body, knock wood, but my right side has had all sorts of stuff happen, ranging from ruptured cysts to ITBS and IBS pain, PF, pulled butt muscle, lol...all of which have funked up my form so that I'm still dealing with these minor compensatory glitches. After ITBS, I had issues with a hip flexor or something....that's gone, knock wood, and my knee is fine, but now I'm dealing with this calf tightness. Admittedly, I have slight scoliosis, and that might contribute too. Fortunately, yin yoga seems to help a lot. I especially like the icy feeling I get after being in a pose for a while. Whatever was stretched feels like there's something cold trickling through it after I come out of the pose. Not sure what's going on, but it feels beneficial. I also get that after massaging something sometimes, like this morning with my calf.

Oh, I forgot--I do have one occasional left-side issue: my hamstring. It never seems to crop up after workouts, but long car trips tend to summon it. So I try to sit on a cushion whenever possible. Other habits have accumulated too. If I start feeling like I'm going to get PF again, I make sure to stretch out my feet before stepping on the floor in the morning, and that solves that, knock wood. Shins start to hurt, and I do shin raises against the wall for a few days until the problem goes away. etc etc etc. I start to feel wobbly in general, it's squats and pushups and so forth. My soleus starts to hurt, I do the stretches against the wall. etc. No ice or pain killers. Not sure why I don't ice, but I don't care that I'm in pain, as long as I'm healing...I want to feel what's going on. I do elevate the afflicted part and sleep more, if possible. This sort of approach has allowed me to keep training for nearly three years consistently now. Hopefully it'll keep me on the roads for longer.

Well, I best start stretching.

No comments: