Saturday, August 2, 2008

rain!

I think that my speedwork was too fast yesterday. However, the true test will be tomorrow...it's been a while since I've done sprints and I've probably forgotten how it feels the next day. If my long run tomorrow goes fine, then I won't be concerned. If I still feel a little stiff, I'll either rein in next week or run maybe 45-60 minutes before the workout to dampen the pep a little...the latter might be the better option. I did this last spring when it became apparent that my sprints were too fast. It slowed them down a bit and, perhaps more importantly, made the workout fit the goal distance a little more.

So, instead of doing X 200M repeats 10 or so seconds too fast, hammering my legs, and coming back next week a slightly better sprinter, I can jog for an hour beforehand, do the 200m repeats maybe 5 seconds too fast, or less, on slightly tired legs, and come back the next week with a little more fatigue resistance over longer distances. I'm not sure of the exact phys-ed involved, but I have more speed than stamina or endurance, so don't really need to practice the former as much. Last summer, I didn't jog before the sprints, and they were faster, but I tired more easily in general on longer distances. It's really hard to boil things down to one sort of workout, but I think that I am better served by showing up to the sprints slightly worked already.

Anyway, today's run after all that was to be easy. And it was rainy and cool-ish, so the dog was able to hang with me a while. He wasn't totally pumped about the leisurely pace, but that's what it had to be, puppy, and we did about 7.16 miles. It felt nice. Will see how tomorrow feels.

Oh, yes, my stomach is still sore. I think it's the heat, but if this keeps up for more than a week or so, I'll probably make a doctor's appointment. I still haven't quite untangled my inner colonic turmoil beyond smoothing it with Bentyl. This has spared me some embarrassment, I'm sure, but started to lose its efficacy after a while, so I tweaked my diet, tapered off the pills and did more yoga/meditation. Things were going well until summer hit again. Now I'm losing weight and appetite. Could be just another flare-up. We'll see....

Meanwhile...I got a lovely email from my husband today. Score! lol. But, really, it's a big boost to hear from him after a gap, especially when things seem to be going well.

No comments: