Sunday, August 10, 2008

Signed up

For Philly. The full. This will be another attempt at a BQ. If I don't make it this time, what with a good group to train with and fairly good weather ahead and a work schedule that accomodates training, then BQ and I might go our separate ways for a while. LOL

I think I'm in good shape for another go. I feel a lot better than I did the last two summers, and I've been getting more miles in. My stomach seems steadier, too--that is my weakest link. Fortunately, I know of a certain eggplant parm grinder which will go down nicely without slamming me in the gut the next morning. Even more fortunately, I have run the Philadelphia marathon before, and that will help ease nerves. Knowing that Manayunk will be there in my darkest hour (or so, roughly 20 miles) is a big boost. Now all I need is a few more months of good training, and good weather on race day, and no injuries. Admittedly, I don't have the best job to ensure that. Knock wood knock wood knock wood! I might have to buy another pair of shoes, too, at least for the marathon itself.

Meanwhile...this morning, I had a bit of intestinal turmoil but not much, and then I ran to run club, then almost 2:30 with the group (helped a LOT having company!). I'm still getting used to a slightly quicker pace for my long runs...on my own, I've been running longer but slower. This seems fine, and my pace for speedwork seems fine too, but I need to revv up stamina a bit more. So, my uber-slow long runs are leading to slightly quicker long runs with the group, which will presumably lead to MP workouts or longer tempo runs down the line. will see. Anyway, the run felt a little quick...not hard, just faster than I'm used to for a long run pace, but I settled into it. After a while, I had a stitch, but I switched my breathing to 3-3 and it went away. Got another stitch a while later, but it went away too with a few minutes of 3-3. The problem might have been talking...I probably wasn't breathing deeply enough. That won't stop me from talking, though. ha!


Then I had a break...then I jogged home and then with the dog awhile. Total 22.77 miles. It helped that it was a nice cool-ish and overcast morning, plus I actually fueled during the group run. Had 2 halves of a gel...one at about 1:30, and the other about a 1/2 hr later. Didn't get too sticky in between, so that was good too. And between that run and the dog jog, I had a juice drink. It amazes me how my legs seem to bounce back after sitting for a bit eating and/or drinking. They don't feel totally fresh, but considerably fresher than before, and I'm able to continue without too much fuss or soreness.

Hopefully, I'll make it to yin yoga tonight...there's a lot to stretch out, and that particular class/teacher is really good at making me stay in a productive position for longer. And then I'll try to get to bed early, but will get sucked into the Olympics again.

But that's ok, because it was the Olympics that got me out of bed for the group run today in the first place. If they can do all that, why can't I haul my butt out the door for a jog?

No comments: