Friday, June 21, 2013

No rain!

It's only 15 C out and I've been up since six, but I'm not going to run today.

Usually it's fine running the day after a tough run, serious injury aside.  Some runs are just bad for mysterious and transient reasons.  Often a crappy run is succeeded by a really good one, as though it had purged excess toxins or bad juju.   However, yesterday's run was especially brutal and I feel I need more of a break before I attempt my next run.

It wasn't hot either, just 18C.  But my breathing felt constrained from the start, and I felt oddly incapable of my body. It was heavy useless thing that I had to lug about, and couldn't control.  I couldn't find any efficiency of form, I couldn't find any solid musculature to ping with, just a sloppy dead weight.

But, hey, the temperature felt on the cool side.  That should make things comfortable.  Maybe I just needed to loosen up.

Unfortunately, matters further deteriorated in the forest.  The sand was soft, the air was heavy, though still chilly at times, and my breathing was squeezed further.  A 60-ish minute route stretched over 80.  At first, I walked just uphill, and then I was stopping to walk every few minutes.  I didn't feel the hysteric despair of heat exhaustion, but at times I felt like matters were beginning to look hopeless.  Random emotional responses like those aren't a good sign.  My face was dripping with sweat.  Drops kept falling on my arms and legs, but my shirt remained dry.  That was an odd disconnect.  Usually, sweat doesn't discriminate like that.

My breathing still feels a bit sore, or maybe it's heartburn. 

Possible causes include airborne allergen, or maybe just dust from the recent lack of rain, not sweating (I atypically put on deodorant unthinkingly, but this hasn't affected any runs before--honestly, it's a so-called 'natural' kind that doesn't hold back sweat; it's not an anti-perspirant), low iron (I switched to a vitamin pack recently for a boost, but there could be not enough iron in it, or absorption is hampered by another vitamin--I like the pack and it's helped me before, but I really wish they'd label the pills individually so I can space them out accordingly), high humidity, time of the month, dehydration, aliens...at any rate, I should take it easy today and make sure I'm drinking enough water.  I'm hoping to do a long run tomorrow.

I guess I dismissed summer too soon! 

No comments: