Tuesday, June 18, 2013

no rain!

At least no rain during my runs.

Sunday: walked, I think...if I ran, it was short and easy.  I honestly can't remember.  However, I got a really good workout from mortaring.  It was actually dry, so I worked on the koi palace.  It felt satisfying to be able to handle a 60 lb bag of mortar and umpteen 25 lb blocks.  I can pick up and carry a block in each hand without too much discomfort.  This is why I do weights, so I can do stuff like this.  Anyway, it was really tiring because it was also 30C in full sun, but I lasted for a couple of hours and got through the entire batch of mortar. 

Monday: easy 55 minute run.  It was going to be just 40, but my dog crapped in the middle of the road in front of someone's house, so I had to pick it up, so we had to go to the trash can by the ranger station to throw it out, so why not jog around in the forest a bit more?  And since I don't know the trail distances there very well, I ended up with a bit more trail than anticipated.  And then the daily double.  And then, in the evening, I faced my white whale: a 80 lb bag of concrete.  I thought I was going to use it this weekend, but didn't (it's to stabilize the bottom drain for the koi palace, but I still have to cut and glue some PVC together)...anyway, my husband has moved the bag for me up until this point, but it was outside in the rain and he wasn't home, so I picked it up and moved it. 

Tuesday: tempo run! 4 miles, 32:20--not bad!  I was not feeling the best, but it was only 22C (albeit 88% humidity), and I paced it better this time.  The first two miles were in about 15:30, and the last two were uphill and mostly on grass so they're bound to be slower.   And today they were cruel.  There were more cars so I had to run on the shoulder more, which is sometimes soft and often grassy or covered in pine needles.  Talk about a slog!  I really have to wake up earlier for this particular workout.

Admittedly, I was extra late this morning.  My watch was on Kansas time, so 6:20 was actually 7:20.   Turns out more people in my neighbourhood walk at that time, so I met some folks.  LOL.  Usually I don't see anyone until the end of my workout, including the two kids who ride bikes and exercise their dog.  My lonely magic time turned into social hour all of a sudden!  So I was a little mystified, but I did the run, and then found out the real time once I got home. 

And then the leg workout. I've altered the reps and weights a bit, but the heavy exercises are still 5 reps.  It's the perfect number.   Occasionally, I'll throw in an extra rep or two on the last set just to get extra tired.

And then the daily double.  I've been slacking on it, but I realized my problem.  Now that I've been doing all my workouts in the garage, there hasn't been enough padding for the situps, and so I've been electing to do the whole daily double once I'm back in the house on a carpet.  But this has never has happened!  But we have a camping sleeping pad kicking about in the garage.  Much better! 

My other problem is motivation.  Ok, I'm doing pushups and situps so that I can get strong enough to do more of them?  Otherwise, it's hard to gauge progress.  But I have a dream, one that I've never ever accomplished: a one-armed pushup.  Is this even possible?  I still have to do more research and figure out the intermediate steps, form alteration, etc. 

No comments: