Tuesday, June 25, 2013

no rain, too much nature

Something woke me up around 4, I guess.  I can't used to all the noises.  Nature, man! On the one hand, I think this is funny as heck; on the other, I'm royally ticked off.  I like having the window open for fresh air but my sleep is often cut short by crying animals.  Last night, 5 hours.  Again.  Where are their mothers?   Feed your darn kids!  I'm actually getting used to just having 5 hours of sleep a night and then crashing for longer every few nights.

Although, I felt kind of rough this morning.  It was 22C...that's about the low these days.  I can't complain; I was expecting a lot worse.  So, goodbye cool-ish mornings.  We're in the sauna now!

I took a stab at a 4 mile tempo run: 34:30.  Eh.  I slowed down on the way back, but my breathing still stayed up.  That's the main point anyway.

I think I also got a driver busted.  There's a four-way stop close to my house where two 45 mph roads intersect.  As I was running back towards it, I noticed a red car not moving.  It looked like the traffic cycled through, but this car stayed put for at least a couple of minutes or so.  On my way to the stop, I also passed a police car parked on the shoulder.  I ran up to the stop at about the same time as a black car facing the red car; I nodded to the driver, and they went through.  The red car was not moving, and someone else made a right turn.  I tried to make eye contact with the red car driver, but he was wearing sunglasses and he was on his cellphone. 

Ah, I got it!  Because there was nobody behind him, he stopped to chat.  Yeah, in the middle of the road, but people do that here!  See, I'm learning about Southern culture.

Anyway, my presence at the four-way stop can get confusing if I linger--apart from the red car wildcard, it was my turn.  I dashed across and he edged into the box.  Not a problem, plenty of room.  But when I got to the other side, I heard the whoop-whoop of the po-po.  Ah, man, ok, busted.

But not me!  Maybe the red car, maybe somebody else blew through after me.  Beats me.  I just hope I never see that red car again!  I must say, running here has been a lot more comfortable than in Virginia, where people yelled obscenities at me often.  Here, nothing.  But if I'm going to get a pop bottle or something chucked at my head, it'll be from that red car.  (I always envision a pop bottle because I don't think it'll hurt too much).

But I do have to be more patient in general.  Things are just slower here.  I'm still not used to it.  Maybe the guy was waiting for the intersection to be clear for 5 seconds or whatever.  Honestly, I should get into the habit of counting to 5--what I think is indecision or hesitation is merely the pace here!

At any rate, I'm going to try to head out a little earlier from now on.   As long as those stupid animals stop waking me up in the middle of the night!  lol

And then, leg exercises, four sets:

squats(5)
deadlifts(5)
single leg squats (2...the bloom is off the rose with these, and I dropped them the last two sets)
single calf raises(5-10, depending on weight)
goblet squats (5-8, depending on weight)
straight leg deadlifts(8)
single leg butt bridge(5)
clamshells(15)

I'm using the bar for the straight leg deadlifts and actually the weight is equal to the combined weight of the dumbbells, if not a little heavier, but the bar and keeping my legs a little straighter is so much easier.  Less shifting around.

And then the daily double!  Now 30-30.  I felt like bumping it up.



No comments: