Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A comfortable cushion

I went to bed late...I got my second wind.  :/

So I woke up today at 6:20, too late for magic time (not-scorch-in-the-sun time).  So, the dog and I walked, and then I got on the treadmill, loaded a lecture and some tunes, and SOMEBODY STOLE MY MIND AND BODY.   And they replaced my body with a better one.  My mind was gone and I doubt I retained anything from the lecture.  However, after the first five minutes of feeling sore and stiff, and remembering yesterday's leg workout, I focused on driving from the hips and letting everything else loosen.  Once I started bypassing my heavy quads in this fashion, I felt weightless.  Twenty minutes later, I came back from this dimension, drank some fluids, and continued.

The only rough patch was near the end.  It was hardly anything, more of a sudden boredom.  I clung to the numbers, the ever slowly passing numbers, for about five minutes, and then I chastised myself, turned the tunes up, and went.  The last ten minutes or so, I increased the pace just enough to gain momentum without breathing hard, and, holy endorphin sails, I defied gravity and the citric acid cycle.  Great easy run.  70 minutes.

And then, a revamped shoulder workout.  My shoulders are my weakest point, and though I haven't been feeling them during runs anymore (progress!), I feel them during squats and deadlifts, more so than the places where I should be feeling these exercises!  Maybe that has to do with using dumbbells, but my shoulders are clearly the weakest link.  So I decided to look up some new exercises and break out the E-Z curl bar finally.

I highly recommend the video library on bodybuilding.com.  Basically, I clicked on the thumbnails without fancy equipment.  There is also the option to refine the search according to available equipment, but I missed this at the time!  Post-run stupid brain.  Anyway, I have a bench, dumbbells, the bar, the floor, and that's it.  And I cannot incline the bench because the pin is missing.  We never had it, but no complaints--the bench came from a curb: free! 

Barbell (aka E-Z curl bar) Rear Delt Row
Cuban Press
Iron Cross (already one of my faves even though the weakness this exposes is appalling)
Lying One-Arm Lateral Raise

I added these to the deltoid raises, rows, shrugs, and rotator cuff exercises...probably I'll take a look at compete workout sets to make sure I'm not omitting anything important.

And then I did the daily double.


No comments: