Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The gentle post-sauna fatigue

It's now 28C.  It was about 26C when we ran--the weather app lied!  I was marvelling at the effect of so-called 20C, and the dog quickly turned into a little steam engine, but I kept effort at a comfortable level and his tongue and ears stayed pink and not red, and we hit the Triplet three times.  The last time, he was starting to slow down, so I dropped the leash on the first hill and took off.  I'm used to running with the leash, even during speedwork, but it was amazing how relinquishing it released my shoulders, and how much more power this generated.  It was so thrilling that I considered a fourth go, but I didn't want to push the dog too far.

However, he really enjoyed the freedom.  He's already fond of the Triplet, and he likes short fast intervals in general, but we are not well-matched when it comes to such quickly changing terrain.  He pulls ahead on uphills and I roll ahead on downhills.   I hadn't realized before dropping the leash how much energy has been expended merely trying to equalize, never mind the asymmetry.  Now that we've paid our dues in this sloppy leash-less domain, and since I've never come across anyone in the Triplet, I think I could live with an unclipped lead through it.

My weights afterward didn't go as well.  The spectre of a crushed foot has accumulated mass and I found it hard to concentrate on form.  I started cleaning up the garage during sets, and this distracted me further.  There was one good interval where I reminded myself that I like the weights because they drive everything else out of my mind, and the ensuing squats distilled to a scintillating band deep within each thigh and the weights almost vanished..but my deadlifts afterward were crap.  I did a couple of reps but things felt off, my back felt crooked and I couldn't manage to set myself properly; I ended the workout then and there.  Later on, I pulled out the last mystery unpacked box from the closet.  Hopefully my steel-toed boots are in it.  Perhaps this is unorthodox, but I got to make use of what I got!

I felt so tired that I was too tired to feel much discomfort during the daily minimum afterward.  I noticed more efficiency with my pushups at least.

No comments: