Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring is in the air

And all of these long-leaf pines are getting down, and their pale green pollen is accumulating. I'm breathing and eating and drinking pollen and wiping it off this computer (put a napkin over the vents, yo).  The patio and other horizontal surfaces are becoming verdant, including the dog, and it's disgusting what is happening to the koi tank...I guess the koi palace will need a skimmer as well as a bottom drain.

Anyway, yesterday: daily minimum and a walk with my husband and the dog.  I pinged my left foot against roots a couple of times last week, and that eventually led to a calf and plantar fascia strain.  It hurt to walk yesterday morning, but stretching repeatedly seems to have done the trick because I don't feel it today.  I should be stretching more in general

Today: daily minimum, a very easy 45 minute jog/walk with the dog (met another loose dog, of course), then arm exercises/weights.  It was about 17C and humid this morning and I was quickly covered in a layer of sweat...but I successfully embraced the upcoming sauna.  YES.  Several months of purification, during which running will just happen to be incidental.  This will be a long summer of detoxing.   There's no rush, the toxins will make their way out, and lucky me, this will happen for FREE.    This was the mindset that helped me get through the summer of 2011 happily and merrily, culminating in a rather comfortable 4:01 marathon at about 32-28C, not including humidex (I wish I hadn't stayed so long chatting at the water stops--could have been a sub-4!).  Sadly, last summer was the worst heatwave and drought in the Midwest in 50 years and no amount of mind-trickery could deny the weeks of highs in the 35-42C range, not including humidex...but this summer should not be that extreme, just more humid.

Steam room steam room steam room sauna.  Several months of daily sauna.  Score!

No comments: