Monday, April 22, 2013

A plunge

This weekend, I finally boxed up winter clothing, not without admonishing my procrastination.  We've had more than a few warm weeks, and more than a few days around 30 C, and yet my hats, gloves, and winter gear has been lying about, getting in my way--- 

shut it down

I packed up all that cold-weather stuff, and, of course, it was only 4 C this morning.  That used to be shorts and t-shirt running weather, but my blood is already thin, and I had to open the box moved only yesterday to the garage.  I needed a hat and gloves.

Just 45 minutes of jogging in the forest with the dog this morning.  My focus this morning was to maintain an easy effort even uphill, and I got into a good groove until my dog lost his head over an especially exquisite funk of some sort.  It was a bigger deal than deer, but perhaps they had just crossed the trail seconds before our arrival.   Or maybe it was a feral dog or coyote or some sort of long-lost cousin.  I couldn't see anything amiss, but I am rotten at picking out anything in nature unless it moves or makes a noise or a smell.  Anyway, after that, I walked up the rest of that hill, and a steep one further down, but otherwise I jogged--rather, minced--up the hills without too much exertion.   This particular pace still needs work, but it'll be worth it.  I cannot run long here without it.
 
I had thought about doing the triplet before the incident, but it's probably for the best that I was thrown off that plot.  I have gut pain again, this time a mystery that I can't attribute to anything I've eaten.  My diet has been perfectly gluten-free for at least a few weeks to the best of my knowledge.  I don't think it's the secondary issue either.  So, lots of water and tea, and hopefully it'll go away soon.

After the jog, I did arm exercises and the daily double.  The weights seemed lighter this morning.   The overhead press has been asking for heavier weights for at least a week, but today was the first day that everything seemed less hard than it should be.   However, the 7-7-7 bicep curls were interesting in that I think I felt the full point of the exercise for the first time in years.  Unfortunately, it's hard to describe, but it went from feeling generally sore and awkward to a denser, more focused discomfort.   An encouraging sign, and an easier situation actually.  Instead of a mess of random little muscles working and aching indiscriminately, demands are funneled to the target muscle; everything else gets a little breather while I torment that one little spot.

No comments: