Monday, April 15, 2013

So how did the Boston Marathon end?

It took me about a half hour to find a feed that didn't require a proxy server, but it died about 20 seconds from the end of the men's race, probably thanks to the crappy internet here.  Or maybe it was taken down.  It had the pixelation of illegitimacy, and I couldn't see faces or bib names, but it was a whole lot better than nothing.

Especially after such a burning run and workout.  Since it was relatively cool this morning (only 19C!!) and overcast, and I wanted a tougher run, we did the goat loop, which has two sizeable hills and a bunch of smaller ones which do appear to be shrinking.  We pushed. Pace: ? but after the first hill, about 15 seconds in, my breathing didn't settle back down until we were done just under an hour later.

And then I put on my steel-toed boots and grabbed the dumbbells.  Squats, deadlifts, single-legged squats without weights, and modified clamshells because I don't want to lie on the floor of the garage.  Having my toes protected made such a huge difference.  The spared energy made the exercises more punishing, quicker ascents, deeper descents.  I know it was good because when I went to sit down soon after, my hamstrings said NO, STRETCH FIRST!

And then the daily minimum.  It has really been paying off.  I was able to knock out ten pushups in a row without too much fatigue--I have gotten strong enough now to incorporate form efficiencies such as pulling up back through my heels and giving myself mini-breaks while in plank.  Maybe it's time now to start thinking about increasing the daily minimum; probably I'll give myself a couple more weeks to get the routine totally set.

And then, the Boston Marathon! Yippee!  But, oh, no, Universal Sports is a cheap bitch (yeah, takes one to know one...) doling out just 1.5 minute intervals of coverage as a free preview this year, and the marathon wasn't available on any of our free TV channels this year either (we're paying for crappy internet instead! but the free TV channels were decent in the Midwest and one of them played the marathon, but not here, so I rarely watch TV apart from this one fishing show I like (sadly marred by the cooking segments where a lady basically cooks the fish and slathers whatever it is with the same cheesy sauce from a jar every time)), and I started looking into other options, and my internet died a couple of times, and my spirits sunk, etc, and when I was on the verge of finally becoming productive instead, I found a feed.  The quality was poor, and my internet did not cooperate but I got the gist of the race and a full dose of the excitement (probably enhanced by my failing internet) and it's been a super morning.  Parenthetical vomit = SUPER PUMPED.  Back to the books!


No comments: