Friday, September 27, 2013

Tempo

Yardwork yesterday.

And more today.  I'm getting pretty deft with a pickaxe, and there is something so fulfilling about the movement.  One of my will-never-come-to-fruition plans is to devise a bestselling new fitness craze: old-timey prison sweat.  Added resistance from shackles!  Total core workout breaking rocks!  I'm going to call it the Leavenworth Sculpt.

Anyway, before that, the dog and I did a tempo run.  Warm up, then the loop in 45-46 minutes, including his breaks and a minute or two standing to the side to let horses pass.   So, we were under ten minute miles--lol--but not bad for a bunch of sand, hills, and roots.   And I only mostly tripped once.

My good field of vision is narrow (yesterday, I jammed a box into a doorway, and of course someone saw this shining moment) and sometimes my feet are on a different planet, but I'm getting better at anticipating the footing, and picking my feet up in general.  And, as it turns out, trails are an amazing venue for tempo running.   The footing is a great distraction.  At times, I feel like I'm so close to bailing, because I'm going over stuff too quickly to judge it clearly, and the adrenaline is amazing.   

Sure beats slower sloppier runs with more mishaps and more pining for my pickaxe.  I suppose this is why I've been so pumped while hacking those roots out of the backyard.  Payback!

Anyway, it was a tough but great run.  I sweated loads because it was close to 20C, but it wasn't sickly humid and I ended up with a great buzz. 

No weights, just yardwork.  I've been strict about taking iron and protein supplements for the past few days, and I feel like I'm getting out of the hole.  This will just be an easy week.  And I want to run lots tomorrow.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Gettin jiggy with the pickaxe, eh? Remind me to stay on your good side, lol.

cs said...

Yep, I've become somewhat ripped and crabby. But a run with you would be a huge mood lift. Awwwwww!