Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Reacquaintance (doing my best to avoid the laziness of bad language)

Yesterday: walk.
Today: 80 min jog, shoulder exercises.

We met the German Shepherd again, and it was mad today.  It ran across the road to a few feet away from us.  It didn't start barking until it was close, and took me by surprise, so Shock & Awe raised my volume (I don't like yelling at strange dogs).   I held out my hand and told it "Back off, back off, go, go, no," etc.  No improper language.

It didn't want to back off this time though.  It quickly reversed its retreats.  Finally, I heard someone else yelling.   The human who owned it didn't bother to leave her house but her dog eventually heeded her.  I noticed that a white dog was also loose, and perhaps this made the German Shepherd more protective.

For some reason, I am not afraid of this breed, but there was a moment of "oh, poopies," probably while I was looking at its teeth, and then I quickly admonished myself.  Commit.  If this dog was nutty enough to go after us, it would have done so already.  It was just probing for weakness. 

I waved to the owner and called out thanks, and she shut her door without a word.  Maybe she just felt ashamed (probably not), but more likely she was interpreting my gratitude--and I was grateful to have the dog called off--with a good hefty dollop of passive aggressiveness.  My thank you probably seemed akin to "Bless your heart," which I'm sure I've written about before.

Later on, I realized that perhaps she hadn't heard "Back off," but something including another four-letter word, which isn't acceptable here.    Yes, it's perfectly fine to let one's dog roam up and down a 45 mph road hassling others, but to curse?  My lord and saviour Jesus!  I don't think I've heard a single curse word here.  Even in Kansas, there were plenty of f-bombs.

I felt a substantial surge of adrenaline and the added boost of "Oh, snap, I really hate living here sometimes."  I've started counting down even though we have no departure date.  n(3XX) days to go!

Anyway, my jacked up nerves and the humidity made my run slightly uncomfortable.  However, we made it through the forest loop in 55 minutes, including walking up a couple of steep portions and my dog's breaks.  We were out later than usual, and we saw a few dogs in there, including the cutest little puppy.  Hopefully the owner was unfit and/or doing intervals: she was jogging with it, and dogs that age are too young for sustained runs.  Dem joints!

My shoulder exercises were feeble.  Things felt a third heavier than they were--I know, because that's how much I had to cut back!

No comments: