Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 52

Yesterday: 20 min jog in the morning. No evening speedwork--got distracted by St. Pat's day.

Today: 30 min jog in the morning, 1 hr run in the afternoon--warm up, tempo portions, cool down, 5 hill sprints, and resistance exercises afterwards. The tempo portions were 4-6-8 minutes. This was part of a ladder workout from my run club schedule. The pace was 8:02-8:12/mile, same as the two mile tempo runs I've been doing. It was hotter in the evening, though, or maybe I was tired.

The strange thing is, recently I've found myself coasting easily enough at 8:40-9:00/mile, but going 8:10 is a LOT harder. Definitely, I've been improving, though, if I'm coasting around 9:00/mile, so I can't complain! Hopefully as things unlock, my tempo pace will improve too.

I've been thinking of starting short repeats soon, 100-400M range, to get more muscle fibers working. The exercises and hill sprints have made me stronger and I think I can handle longer fast intervals. My run club, which I hope to rejoin next week, will be moving from indoor to outdoor short intervals in 2 weeks. That seems a logical time to start. I'll keep up with the tempo runs and work on those too. Eventually I'll get into VO2 max intervals as well.

No comments: