Sunday, March 14, 2010

day 48....

but not really.
I guess the count is of my gluten-free life in general, not of days exclusively without gluten.

I messed up again. Yesterday, we got up early, headed down to the market to get meat and other things, and we watched the St. Paddy's parade on the way back. We got home and gradually I started feeling sick, chills, sweats, and abdominal pain. A bit of tingling in my joints too. I slept on the couch for a couple of hours and fell asleep early in the evening...must have slept 14 hrs. But I was lucky! no puking and the pain is going away.

So it was time to play "what the heck did I eat?" again. At first I wondered if eating Korean food (Galbi mostly) on Friday had something to do with it, but it seemed pretty safe. Red pepper sauce doesn't bother me. I'd had a sip of barley tea by accident, but only one sip--I recognized it and stopped drinking it. There might have been some flour in the bulgogi sauce, but I doubt that.

And then I remembered the candy I'd eaten later that evening. We stopped by at the grocery store on the way home and I'd bought my favourite Easter candy, the big jelly beans with the white centres. The package didn't list wheat so I dug in. I fell asleep early that night too, but figured I was just tired in general.

Well, I looked at the package again: lower down, in smaller print, it says that it was processed in a facility that contains wheat. Ah. Perhaps, then, it was the culprit. I'm not going to eat it anymore. :(

I elected not to run yesterday. Today was supposed to be a reduced long run (this being a recovery week).

It was drizzling, not too warm, quite windy, and Daylight Savings Day. We took our time in getting out, and ran for 1:15. I felt great at first, happily coasting along--I felt like I had a stronger core--and then gradually the abdominal pain came back. But it wasn't too bad, and has already gone away again. Hopefully it'll go away for good soon.

And serves me right for snacking on candy! I'm not having too many issues with the wheat-free diet, except with snacks. Most of that stuff is so heavily processed that even without wheat listed on the label, it's probably contaminated. I've been trying to cut down on my potato-chip intake, made it one week without them!, but perhaps it would be better to eat and limit my intake of gluten-free chips rather than eat possibly gluten-containing candy. All the gluten-free ones I've found are jelly bean/jujube type things (which is fine, I like them), but I guess even those aren't safe.

I've been snacking more on fruit during the day...maybe I can snack on fruit in the evening too? It doesn't appeal to me then, though!

I'm going to try to be more strict with late night snacking in general.

No comments: