Thursday, April 2, 2009

Speedwork

So, I can't get these electrodes wet so speedwork was curtailed for me when it started to rain. I put on my raincoat and jogged home. And then, shortly before I got there, it stopped raining. Doh!

But the main purpose of the workout was not really the lactate threshhold or whatever improvement. No, the main reason was to get my heart jacked up. It's been kind of wonky these past 8-9-? years. I might have posted about this here before: I'd started getting palpitations when I was in university, had them checked out and was told that it was mitral valve prolapse and harmless. Woohoo! and other factors in my life made me realize that I really needed to be more healthy, so I started running.

Well, it turns out that what my doctor really said was that it was probably mitral valve syndrome but that I needed to get more tests done. So that's what I'm doing now. I get little blips often, and running is fine, but if I'm running and then stopping, starting, bending over, or otherwise shifting gears suddenly, that's what kicks things off, particularly if I already have been running for a while and haven't stopped for very long. Then my heartrate jumps up and stays up, somewhere past 200 bpm, sometimes for as long as a half hour. That's what happened last week. I was kind of annoyed, because it was a week early.

So, I wasn't quite as revved up today, when I had to stop. I tried alternating sprinting and jogging on the way home. IT was a weird feeling. On the one hand, I didn't want to get palpitations; I didn't want the discomfort. on the other hand, I really want the medical folks to get a good reading of whatever this issue is.

Fortunately, when I bent over to pick up my keys, that set it off. just for five minutes or so, but way better than nothing. I'm really happy about that. I'm going to try running a tempo run on Friday, I think, before I have to take the electrodes off.

I walked with the dog for about 1.5 miles....not sure I should count that. I'm really tempted to, because it was a brisk walk and I've been trying to walk more in prep for this ultra, so walking counts as training, no?...even a short one like that would be a recovery walk? lol
Anyway, without the dog walk: 10.5ish miles.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, the walking certainly counts! ;)

cs said...

LOL!