Saturday, April 4, 2009

out of gas

I've been busy.
The electrodes came off yesterday. I decided to do a tempo run on the way to the hospital, just to give the poor tech who has to read my 48 hrs of data a little more variety. Unfortunately, it wasn't my day. I warmed up and got in two miles under 8:00/mile, and that was it. A: I misjudged the distance beforehand, and was where I'd thought I'd be after three miles so ran out of road and B: I was really tired anyway. My pace was slower than my 1/2 marathon PB, but harder. Mind you, it's been a while since I've done a tempo run--I was doing sprints instead on Friday and then just regular runs. I need tempos, I think.

But I've been sluggish this week. I had that one good interval workout last week, and everything else has been sort of blah. More and more I've been thinking that the ultra isn't going to happen. I've gotten in some long runs for it, but not any back-to-back...I have time to get in a least one of those, but I'm tired and not interested. I'll try to figure out a way to get motivated.

Meanwhile, my foot is sore again. One of the new pairs of shoes I got is an upgraded model of two other pairs I have. They've changed the inside somewhat. The first model I have, the shoe is essentially a sock--at first it was hard to get my foot into it but it got easier. I suppose that people complained, because the 2nd version I have is more of a normal shoe. The third version is sort of in between, with a half-sock/half-tongue in it, meaning that there's an edge of fabric along my arch and instep inside the shoe. It felt fine but once I got up to 2hrs in it, I got sore. I wore those shoes again recently for a long walk....eh. So I guess I'll see what I can do with an exacto blade or something. Kind of sucks when new shoes have a mileage limit that you can't really reach until you've already worn them a bit, but I'm not going to be running 12 miles every single time I head out, either, so there's still a place for them in my stable. once my foot feels better. Not sure how I'll make it through work today, though!

No comments: