Saturday, February 28, 2009

Friday

Forgot to post...

Run one was 5.33 miles in freezing rain with the dog. It was +4 when we were out, but the ground was colder so the water was freezing on it. The dog didn't get cold, though, even though he got a shower. Good thing: he was starting to smell a little stale. He also slipped at one point---he almost never slips. It wasn't an easy run for me, because there was a fair bit of ice, but he was trotting along merrily for the most part. He's still a little out of shape, so I don't have to tell him to slow down as often, but we were still on different wavelengths. He wanted to go faster. We went around a certain corner, and I slipped again, and looked at him just in time to see him slip too. I feel bad for thinking that it was pretty funny. He looked so surprised. He didn't fall down, it was just a split second of uncertainty. lol

Run two was running errands, about 3.5 miles, in much colder weather. It chilled a lot today. I think it was about -20 windchill by the end of it.

That puts me at just over 200 miles for February, my mileage goal. I think March will be lighter...I'll enjoy my husband's visit :) :) :) (he should be arriving soon!) and finish recovering from the marathon these next few weeks, and then it'll be time to kick things into gear for the ultra. Running fifty miles a week has been surprisingly comfortable (compared to 60+ for a couple of months last fall), but I think I'll end up going back to about 60 miles a week, if only to get the workouts in that I want to get in, and generally enjoy the warmer spring weather (can't wait!)

My legs still feel a little sore sometimes when going uphill, but for the most part, they're fine. They generally feel a little hollow, as though not 100% of the usual fibres are being used--I guess things are still being repaired. This is the first time I've run so soon after doing a marathon--usually I take a couple of weeks off, but I didn't want to do that this time. It's gone better than I thought it would, but it still feels odd to be running and not do speedwork. Not sure I'm up for a long run tomorrow, either, but I'll see how things go.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I heard that Ottawa got some really funky weather yesterday. We got the cold temps, but at least we didn't get the flash freeze.

March is going to be an awesome month for you!

Fran said...

Over 200 miles for the month of Feb! Has anyone ever called you an overachiever? hehe, kidding. That's awesome. Yeah, the weather was chaotic yesterday. I hope we see you tomorrow. I feel a little stuffed up today but I think it's caused by my hungover state, not a cold.

cs said...

Sarah, I was wondering what Toronto got, if it got much warmer and/or as cold. It was weird. I feel like I'm a day ahead, now...it honestly felt like two different days.

Gaz, I can't believe I was carrying the gel all that time! My pocket felt too light and thin and I didn't feel the gel even when fishing for change. However, this sort of thing has happened before with that jacket. When I got home it also coughed up a key I turned my pockets inside out for earlier this week. It's like a mini Bermuda Triangle. Or maybe too much blood gets diverted from my brain.