Saturday, February 21, 2009

race fuel

Well, my attitude has taken a 180 degree turn...

I walked down to the museum to pick my bib up, and it was sunny and much warmer/nicer than yesterday. That was encouraging. Bib pick up was easy, and since it is such a small race, the race director was there and able to confirm that I could leave a stash of fuel--they'll have a table set aside for that. How neat! And there will be a clock at the 5K mark, so I can sort of keep track. I guess if I figure about a 1/2 hour for each 5K, I should be good.

And since this is a small race, and really small marathon field (it was a pretty thin handful of full marathon bibs), I am Number 5. No kidding! I told them that this was the closest I would get to being an elite runner.

The shirt's nice too, navy cotton long-sleeve. I have one similar to it and wear it all the time, so it's great to have two. I don't need another long-sleeved polyester 'tech' shirt.

The Search and Rescue guys tried to recruit me on the way out, lol...

And then I was off to get race fuel. I've had it with gels. They're convenient, and they're convenient, and they're....there's nothing else to be said for them. Having one or two during a half marathon suits me well, but they don't seem to do anything for a full. So I've been trying various things during my long runs, and it so happened that walking back from the museum was the perfect route.

1st stop, Nasa Grocery. Indian food. I got some jalebi and carrot burfi.

2nd stop, Thai grocery store (I didn't see what it's called)....I went in there sort of instinctivelly--it was an open door so I went in, although I hadn't realized that it was thai....anyway, no race fuel there but I got some things, including an avocado that I've already eaten, and some thai ice tea. Also got some aloe drink which I might bring after all...aloe seems to help my stomach.

3rd stop, Kowloon, Chinese grocery store. Aloe dessert for tonight.

4th stop, Morning Glory. A Korean stationary store--I miss using the stationary to write to my husband, and then I was walking by it again today and realized, wait, THAT Morning Glory? They print a lot of stuff. I got some stationary of a seascape and the touching words 'You....make the world goes around.' awwwww! (I have a soft spot for Konglish)

5th stop, Korean grocery store, for some canned Maxwell House coffee and a bottle of juice. I considered trying to get expresso in a thermos somehow, but figured I might as well just check if the Korean place had canned coffee, which they did, though not the variety I was hoping for, but good enough. Not sure why canned coffee mostly seems to be a Korean thing.

6th stop, Lebanese store #1, for the Lebanese equivalent of jalebi...not sure what it's called but it's very similar. Paler in colour, and an added subtle rose water flavour.

7th stop, Lebanese store #2, for some zatar and baklava. The zatar won't be for the race. That would be too messy.

Incidentally, if they ever close down Somerset St/Chinatown for a festival (which I remember them doing when I was young), I'm so going there and running up and down it for a long run. So many options to choose from when I get hungry.

I put the sweets in a tupperware container...I guess if I put it and my drinks in a plastic bag and label it, that will work.

I still can't believe I'm running a marathon tomorrow. I took some Bentyl to rein in my digestive system....figured, what they hey, see if it works. This is the stuff that I was prescribed for IBS, but I weaned myself off it after about a year because things were getting worse anyway and it was either take more Bentyl or try to be a little more strict with my diet.

So we'll see what happens!

No comments: