Sunday, February 15, 2009

the weekend

I'm getting kind of sloppy with posting here.
I blame end of winter torpor...it's great that there's more daylight and less cold, but I'm feeling sort of run down in general, and putting on several layers is becoming less and less appealing.

Anyway, I jogged 1.5 miles yesterday with the dog just to make up my week's mileage goal, lol, and then we walked.

Today, I got up and felt horrible. Not the usual gut thing, but more nausea. It was touch and go and I missed run club. I felt bad about this because I promised Gaz #1 an expresso (Gaz #2 is in the Caribbean...). So I just decided to run around and try to link up. I didn't bring a Garmin or a watch, but I'm sure I was going pretty slowly.

After a while, things eased up and started to get good, and I did meet up with Gaz and had the expresso plus this berry/whey powder smoothie that was really good. I'm trying to think of options for the marathon next weekend...I think a couple of thermoses of juice or whatever (heated up) and something more solid, and I should be good. It's my hope to stash some stuff somewhere--it'll be one 5K loop umpteen times, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to refuel. And I'll be going without technology again. It felt really nice today, almost exciting. In fact, it was exciting, the uncertainty of meeting up with the group, trying to find the group...it was almost like running with hash house harriers again. I really miss that, all the questions and randomness. So it was good to have a run like that, especially since it hadn't started out well.

We also stopped in an Indian grocery store and I had something called carrot barfi, I think...wait, let me google...

Ok, phew, it's carrot bUrfi....not that I really minded, but it still makes it a little better. Oh, the perils of two languages crashing together!

Anyway, that also suited me really well, so it might be a good option for the marathon. A couple squares of that, some jalebi, and I should be set up well. Maybe something savory too. dunno.

Gazelle #1 and I parted ways, and I jogged back home and then grabbed the dog for a couple of miles. And, yet again, we met another moronic dog owner. We were running past a small non-dog park, my dog by my side, and I see this husky loping around. At first I thought it was loose, but thank goodness, no...it was on a choke collar and a flexi leash. Can we get a bulletin out--that combo doesn't work? Heck, flexi leashes suck enough on their own, but teaching a dog to pull (which is what flexi leashes do, really) while wearing a choke? And then the woman yells out 'Is your dog on a leash?'. I said 'yeah.' Meanwhile, her husky is making all sorts of noises, dancing around and trying to get closer to my dog. My dog is just running beside me...he looked, of course, but that was that. I was a bit steamed but more amused because what this woman was doing was having her very energetic dog lope around in circles...she'd jog a few meters, then stop (winded?) and encourage her dog to run around some more, and so forth. At least she took her dog out, but there are better places to exercise dogs a short walk away, like places with fences where you could let a dog loose, if it was behaved. Or she could have jogged with him/her. A husky is a working dog and needs much more exercise than a few ten meter sprints. Encouraging a dog to whirl around on a flexi leash is pretty darn lazy, but I kind of hope that she continues in that vein, going to that particular park, and not on bike paths where her dog will probably get excited by all the new smells and remember what it's been taught: whirl around on a flexi leash. I've seen a few dogs like that. C'mon, people!

So my new goal this week is to chill and not get rattled by stupidity. I think everyone's kind of cabin crazed at this point, so hopefully things will get better when spring gets here.

oh, yeah--yin yoga tonight! It was a tough class but worth it.

No comments: