Thursday, July 3, 2008

Wednesday

It was hot! So hot that after the day ended, I melted without updating the blog. haha

The dog and I got out fairly early, but it was already too hot for him to run. I wasn't feeling it, either. So we walked for about 1:15-1:30...not really sure. Not having many demands on my time does have its perks.

It was a nice walk, too, and we met some people who liked him and wanted to pet him. That was very nice. He behaves very well on walks, heels wonderfully on a regular old flat collar and lets people and other dogs be, but he's still somewhat intimidating, I guess. So meeting people who want to pet him is a treat.

Then, in the evening, it was run club. I didn't go very often in June. It was supposed to be an easy month for us, anyway, and I enjoy talking with the people there, but I guess I needed some time to jog on my own, with no expectations. However, I missed the other members, and after meeting them at the race yesterday, I decided that I had to return.

The workout was supposed to be gentle speedwork, or the option of jogging 5-10K instead. I was going to just jog, but it was hot and I didn't want to carry my water around. So I did the minimum for the speedwork. It was somewhat hard...I wasn't stiff, but a bit sluggish, so I tried to keep things loose, my effort even, and I didn't use a Garmin. The intervals were by time, too, which made things easier mentally. It was hot, though. But the workout went by quite quickly. I ran a bit before the workout, and about 5 miles afterwards at a gentle pace, so I still managed to cover some decent miles and tap into that mellow groove I've been going for.

I've slowly come to realize that when I'm just jogging around, I really don't breathe much. Sometimes I'll have four footfalls to an inhalation, and 2 for exhalation, but oftentimes there isn't even that slow a pattern. I sometimes have to mind this after an hour or two; having a more consistent pattern seems to solve stitch issues. Still, it's very lovely to not have to work hard. Plus I don't have to worry much about fueling or glycogen, my weakest link.

No comments: