Monday, July 28, 2008

Salvaging Monday

Actually, this morning, I felt surprisingly fine for having run umpteen miles yesterday. Usually my quads, especially their lateral sides, betray stiffness or soreness the day after, but I didn't notice anything. Grabbed the dog for a short 20 minute walk, and then I went to work, and then I got a bit upset over another late bus going back. I know it must be hard to run them on schedule; I just wish that they were more frequent. Oh, well, I have just a few more trips and then my work shifts to downtown---woo-hoo! I'll miss my client, but not the bus ride. I just can't tap into it. I'm one of those people who reads, or sometimes works or naps on public transport, with few mishaps, but this route is somehow so non-descript that I panic at least once on every trip out that I've missed my stop. And, truthfully, I have, but there's a string of them close together, so it's not so bad. I think I've gotten off at 3 or 4 different stops. And, yep, I've also gotten sort of lost on the short walk back to the stop after work. Usually I enjoy this sort of detour, and find something interesting in it, but when it's one lawn after another, I zone out. That's probably why I made an extra turn in the first place.


Anyway, this bus issue, and perhaps the thunderstorm, and perhaps slight dehydration (I was on the go a lot) gave me a headache. I don't often get those. I fell asleep on the bus ride back, woke up in time for my stop (no problems downtown!) and the headache started while I was walking home. Fortunately, it started pouring soon after I arrived home, so I had an excuse to delay.

Finally, we set out. We were somewhat in sync and so I was able to concentrate on loosening up. My quads did feel stiff at first, but I went slowly and let things fall into place, rather than push them. After a couple of miles, I felt a good sort of tingling running down my legs, like someone had injected slightly chilled fluid intravenously. I don't get that feeling on every recovery run, but somehow it feels like success.

We walked a few portions, too, namely inclines and/or pavement. Not all pavement--it's hard to avoid--but some. I wanted it to be super easy. No idea of pace, but after the run, my legs felt fresher.

I'm curious to see how I'll feel tomorrow.

5.5 miles.

No comments: