Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hintonburg serves up a sizzling race

Today was the Hintonburg 5K. How could I pass it up? It was nearby, directed by someone I know virtually through the RunningRoom forum, and had a course which looked fun and flat. Plus, a 5K race is the perfect opportunity to do a tempo run, and so I was able to skip Friday's all on my own in the heat. All I needed was not-too-hot weather, which has been an issue during most of my races this year (pretty much everything after the Hypothermic 1/2 Marathon, actually, which says something about my race climate preferences).

Fortunately, the forecasted drizzle turned up, so I was pleased. Temp was about 23C with a really high humidity, but with the odd spit of rain and wind, it felt cooler. Plus, it was overcast. That helps a lot.

Fortunately, too, my mom decided to come with me...I was going to jog down, but felt a little logey so a lift was too hard to pass up. We got there almost an hour before the start--I was worried about a line up for the race kit pickup--but it all went smoothly and we sat in the car for a bit. Then I warmed up, all of maybe 400M. My legs were a little stiff and it seemed like my form was all whacked up, herding cats, but I figured it was still good enough for a tempo run and I'd felt worse before Wednesday's workout anyway.

I met one of my run club co-members, which was cool. Guess I'm not the only one to miss the odd Sunday group run (maybe the only one to miss so many, but, hey~). I chatted with a few more people, and then the start was looming, and we all lined up. I put myself about 6 rows back--seemed a reasonable spot. It was a small field. Then, the race director announced that if one wasn't going to run the race in 20 minutes or so, one really shouldn't be at the front. This was greatly appreciated! A bunch of people moved back, bless them, and I found myself maybe 3 or so rows back. This seemed fine.

Then, the start! I passed quite a few people within the first 2 blocks, the last one being an aged man. Wonder how old he was. I thought of Ed Whitlock. Soon after, he and a couple of women passed me, and I didn't quite manage to catch up, but he was my pilot for the race. I kept him in sight for pretty much the whole thing and we all settled into pace. My legs felt crappy, but I tried to think positive, and after a while, I was into that tempo zone where 'hard' becomes just 'is', and I just have to keep feeding it.

I really liked the race course, just as much in real life as on paper. I had looked at the route before, and basically it was two out-and-backs, one going umpteen blocks, around a few more, and then back, and then the route kept going that way, jogging up and down a couple of blocks or so, to the other turn-around, and then back. It was simple to break down, plus the turns and the setting--a residential neighbourhood--made it go by more quickly than, say, races by the Canal. It was my kind of course. I love running on a grid layout, frequent turns, short stretches, etc. Some people go for 'scenic', but it seems that nature is often lost upon me when I am in a race. It sometimes blends into a whole lot of green yawning endless miles. But I like looking at buildings and shops and so forth, especially when they are almost blurred.

I hung in for the first quarter, lost the aged man and the couple of women ahead of him at the turn-around--oh, ahead of them was a guy in a cycling jersey with The Count from Sesame Street on it. Why can't running clothes be like that? Anyway, I tried to keep up with them, and it was sad to lose them around the corners, but once we were on the straightaway back, I caught up a little. At that point, I managed to remember things which I try to remember in races, loosen up, keep the feet moving quickly, speed up when things start feeling rough, etc. I actually remembered the speed up thing, and it was modest, but it helped! Next time, I'll be more aggressive with it, but it was good to try it.

On the first way back, too, we passed the 1K kids going down--that was wonderful! I'd never before seen as much of a kids' race. They were so gung-ho, the lot of them charging, some with some serious race faces; it was invigorating.

There were a couple of waterstations at least, maybe three....I forget! I don't think any of us took anything at the first, but I passed a young girl at the 2nd, on the 2nd out. I passed someone else too shortly after this point, and I think someone passed me around here...there was one tall guy who breezed past at one point. Other than that, the positions stayed pretty even, and effort too, I think. I wasn't using a garmin or timer, but everytime I started to lag, I tried to smile and pick it up, and this made for a really positive race. There were bystanders, too, on their porches and so forth. And there were many volunteers, and they were so friendly; every time they cheered or smiled, I smiled back. This helped in an unfathomable way. I may have been slowing down, but I was able to keep laying it on, and I wasn't slowing down more than anyone else ahead of me. And then, on the backstretch, I reeled in a couple or so people who were wilting--not any of the people I was chasing, but I got closer to them, at least. And, then I could see the tents of the market near the end, and I knew that there wasn't much left to go. I didn't catch up to the old man, but I hung in there and I may have outkicked someone else...there was someone else kind of near me, but once I saw that time clock, I forgot about him.

I've had a mixed affair with time clocks this year. Yes, they signal the end, but also, at least for my last few races, a displeasing number. Not this one. I couldn't believe my eyes: 20:xx. I picked it up and got in at 20:45 or so. Not exactly sure, but it was under 21.

It was such a good feeling, too good to be true. I enjoyed it for a minute or two and then listened to the folks with the Garmins. We'd missed going up and then down a street or two near the end--instead, we'd run straight through. It was quickly corrected and the race director apologized for it later; I was one of the lucky ones that managed to squeak through before. This happens. Heck, it happened with the Ottawa Marathon, didn't it? I've run a few races that were too long or two short (and once, it was my own darn fault, lol). The charm and convenience of a small local race such as this one more than makes up for it, plus it's easy to figure out what your result would have been with a race pace or equivalency calculator, such as the one on www.runworks.com. And it didn't take away from seeing that number. I'm still floating. It's like I actually ran sub-21 for a 5K. It's been so long since I've been satisfied with a race. Plus, I ran it well, I think--it was a good steady effort and I was able to hang in there and then pass a few people near the end. If I build on this feeling, and recapture the confidence I felt on the course, I might see that 20:XX for real, or even better. At any rate, I wasn't too far off: our version of the course was only about 400M short.

Plus, the weather was humid and 23 or so C...in cooler weather, I might have gone sub 7:00/mile, which would be close to where I was before I had my gut issues last spring. It's been a bit discouraging since then, being slower, but I guess some of the internal injury I'd sustained has taken a while to heal. I still have a few small issues, but none of the horrible cramps I used to get whle running faster, and the constant dull pain has gone away, too, after about a year of it. Perhaps I am on the mend. This is highly encouraging and it has maybe cemented a plan to try again to BQ this fall.

At any rate, after the race, we hung around a bit, talked with some people. The pre and post race atmos was really nice, very friendly. I ate 2 and a 1/5 bananas! But I was hungry! lol....it's funny, I don't usually like bananas, but that post-race potassium craving kicks in almost every time. We watched the awards and then I got to talk with the director/RR forum guy and his partner. That was awesome, putting some faces to names.

It was a great race and I'd like to do it next year, if possible. I think my habibi would enjoy it too; hopefully he'll be back by then.

2 comments:

Nat said...

It was simply awesome to meet you and what an incredible race report. I got choked up reading it. I'm glad the 'hood cheered you on -- I love where we live. (I think Jeff told you that the bananas were donated and were the supremo Free Trade Certified Organic bananas.)

The guy in the Sesame street shirt -- declined a grown-up T if he could get one of the kids T. Then he talked his running buddy into doing the same thing. Seemed really super sweet.

Look forward to seeing you at The Army Run. :)

Nat (the Race Director's paraspouse and fellow running blogger: http://fromnatsbrain.typepad.com/see_nat_run)

cs said...

Thanks, Nat! Those were good bananas. That's cool that you saw the Sesame Street guy, too.

Thanks for sharing your neighbourhood with us!