Sunday, October 6, 2013

uhhhhh

1:50ish, including some walking.  Not too hot (low-mid 20s) but very humid thanks to yesterday's chaleur.  I knew it wasn't going to be pretty, and I knew that doing long-ish back to back runs would be a valuable mental workout, and so I suppose the sweatbox only added to the training stress and I would thank it later...uhhhhh.

But I got into the right mode.  After so much discomfort for so long, it became acceptable, and I became a machine.   Senseless and mechanical.  For some reason, this is partly what attracts me to longer runs.  It's kind of a trip.

At any rate, I really need to do longer runs if I get off the waitlist for my goal race.  3 + 2 hrs (and not even!) is a rather puny back-to-back.  And I need to get back to my truly easy gear.  It's kind of distressing that it isn't accessible at all, and I keep reminding myself that it's too warm here still, and that I had two easy 20+ milers during my trip home.  Once the weather cooperates, I can jog again.  The dirty truth is that, while I like running, I especially enjoy it when my breathing is just as easy as when I'm walking.  I'm lazy. 

And once I can run for longer, I can also figure out the shoe situation.  This has become more of a concern.  I've been running in Puma Faas, which might be kind of dumb on trails, but there are no loose rocks to bang up and I've quickly learned how not to land on roots.  The Faas are comfy but rather holey and the sand gets in, but hasn't chafed...yet.  However, I've started getting blisters between my toes, which I've never gotten before, and I'm pretty sure it's not a heat/moisture thing.  My longest hot run was a marathon in about 30 C (no joke; fortunately it was an evening marathon so the 32 C at the start was the worst). That was a very lazy and absolutely drenched 4:01 without any blisters.  I had a DNF trail ultra that I hung in for about six and a half hours, also drenched thanks to rain, and I don't remember any blisters from that either.  My feet got bashed up because there were a lot of loose rocks and streams, usually both, but no blisters.  I don't get them easily.  But now I have a few, and I'm not sure that using bodyglide wouldn't just attract more sand.  But I don't want to box my feet up!!!

But it would probably be more advantageous to wear shoes with a tread.  LOL

1 comment:

Fran said...

Oh yeah, I pray for that senseless machine feeling when I run long, but I'm never aware of its descending - I feel its presence only when I come up for air. And then I do the robot dance. lol