Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 97

Saturday: ran 80 minutes with my husband and the dog. A good run although we had a pretty upsetting incident: some guy in a truck yelling a load of insults at us. He launched them out of the blue. We were standing waiting for a light; we were dirty and sweaty and in short-shorts and with our muscly mutt. he's not your typical 'nice' lab or golden or whatever purebred although typically much better behaved :) We got him from a pound after some degenerate starved him and supposedly cut his ears off with scissors among other abuses; now he's filled out and very glossy, either gorgeous or scary depending on who you talk to, but either way, we're not the type of people this guy was screaming about. Now it seems pretty funny, and it's pretty clear that this guy was dealing with wayward DNA and/or neurotransmitters. But at the time, it was upsetting and I wanted him to ram his truck into some inanimate object and snuff out his overactive amygdala. Nobody needs that sort of crap.

But, thank goodness for the golden rule of shitty people: I rarely encounter the same one twice and, in my fortunately limited experience, the rare time I have, they weren't shitty the second time.

Sunday: no run, traveling to San Antonio!

Today: ran for one hour and 36 minutes: I jogged for an hour then did an interval workout on the TM: 6X 2.5 min VO2max, 2 min recovery jogs. I'm really pleased with this--I ate a bit of wheat accidentally yesterday and had aches in the evening (didn't help I was crammed in the very last row on my last flight, very uncomfortable) and diarrhea this morning.

Fortunately, I seem to be fine now...I maybe could have done my VO2 max intervals a bit faster, say 8.7-8 mph instead of 8.6, but they felt solid enough and I was thrilled to do as much as I did. It was really pleasant jogging along the riverwalk,it was shady and still sort of cool, and the hotel exercise room, though it didn't look promising at first glance, turned out to be wonderful. They have a couple of fancy and solid TMs (dunno the brand, but the display monitor (with TV option) is newer than any other I've seen before), and a very good air-con system. I entered the room and it felt COOL. Too many exercise places have temps hovering around 20C--way too hot for running. This one was at 65F, had a good fan, and controls so I could have dropped the temperature even further. I'm not sure how much I'll be using the exercise room; since it's so nice, I'm toying with the idea of doing some speedwork on Wednesday as well as Friday, making use of the TM while I have it. Will see how I feel.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be eating well this week. Just had a good lunch at a good Mexican restaurant, lengua (beef tongue) and a margarita to celebrate my arrival.

No comments: