Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 103

No run this morning, I'm dealing with a swollen something in my neck just below and behind my ears; I guess I'm still a bit lymphy. I woke up and I couldn't eat or drink because it hurt too much to swallow stuff down, even little sips. This happens every so often and never lasts much more than a day. Now it's getting better and I can sip liquids but I'm so hungry I'm not really hungry anymore.

once this happened to me the day of a long run. I had a bit of trouble drinking before it but figured the problem would go away. It didn't but stubbornness and good weather kept me going for about 21 miles, and then I was STARVING. I'd burned through approx 2000 calories without refueling. The post clinic was closed so I went to a pharmacy and asked for antibiotics or something. The pharmacy was, no, you need a doctor for that. I told him I was STARVING. He looked at me like I was nuts. I was so vexed, I wanted to go off on a tirade about how Western culture is so used to placating emotions and misinterpreted urges by robotically cramming down copious amounts of empty calories so nobody is hungry, just lonely or bored, but I AM REALLY STARVING. Respect that! But I controlled myself. I went to the post clinic the next day because the thing wasn't quite gone and I was still failing to get enough nourishment down to fight the hunger, and the doctor had problems understanding my issue too but he gave me antibiotics and the issue went away quickly. Usually I don't bother with antibiotics but that time I was STARVING. They didn't understand. With the long term gut issue I had back then, I was almost always hungry anyway, but STARVING was a whole new level.

I'm not used to being hungry like that anymore! As my digestive system recovers, I've noticed that my portions have been gradually shrinking; my system is getting used to needing less. My husband and I have gotten so used to serving each other the same sized portions that I have to remind myself that, no, I don't have to eat that much anymore.

But now I'm hungry and I want to eat something soon.

I also feel a bit odd today because I got a message from my nurse to phone her back. She'd phoned while I was in TX. I tried phoning back but she's off today. It might just be a paperwork issue. LOL

Will see if I eat and/or run later on and update accordingly.

update: 40 min jog with the dog--hopefully it'll get core temp revved up a bit so that the swelling will go down! I can drink now but haven't tried eating yet. 100 sit ups, some pushups...trying to get more consistent with those.

update update: 10 min jogging to my parents' house--thank goodness I can eat now! we went out for sushi. :)

No comments: