Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 122

Slowest 5K ever! but not by much, and it was hot, and I didn't feel like pushing myself too much. It wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be, but still pretty packed. I got boxed in a few times, probably because I conveniently allowed myself to get boxed in so that I could slowly drift behind someone else for a bit. LOL. But pace wasn't consistent, there were people (ok, lots of high school boys) stopping to walk and then bolting, and then I was catching some people, and other people were passing me--the whole race was like the first 2K of the other 5Ks I've done in terms of everybody trying to settle into a pace. It was pretty cool in a way. I couldn't focus on anyone, so I just soaked up the atmos and crowd and looked around and so forth. It was quite a difference from honing in on a few runners and only them. I was in a bit of discomfort--it was hot--but I wasn't going as hard as I usually do, and the crowd was amazing, so I was smiling a lot and on some level I enjoyed it. The best part was the end, of course, but I was still kind of fresh and had a decent kick. I started to really pick it up around 300 m to go or so, and then again after 100m, and then I thought, wow, I still have another gear, just springiness, so that was great to really bound the last bit although it felt horrible once I stopped. LOL.

I was glad I'd dressed for the occasion, at any rate! The cheetah/leopard(?) print running skirt came out again, and after seeing that the temp was 25C and sunny, I decided to pin my bib to my sports bra and go without a shirt. I felt a little stupid because I seemed to be the only one, but after sweating in the starting corral for 10 min before the race (my warmup, lol), I decided that I had been wise. The 100 rep situps came in handy, I guess--thank goodness I've lost the pudge/muffin top action I had earlier in the year! I don't think I scarred anyone. This was the first time I've run without a shirt and I really liked it. And thus a monster was born....

Anyway, 23:35, but 9/514 in my age group. LOL. So now I'm thinking, hey, I could do this next year and really honestly train and try to place in my AG. I have done in 2/3 of my 5Ks this year (the third didn't record times so I don't know), but I guess I'd assumed that I'd have no chance in heck of doing it today. But since it was actually so close it's a nice goal for next year.

Meanwhile, I've been pondering a crazy idea for the fall--there will be a set of evening races on Sept 4th. I was going to do the 1/2 but my husband has talked about doing the full and I have sometimes often complained in the past that all marathon races are in the morning, so freaking early, plus it gets hotter and hotter as it goes on, why do they have marathons in the morning, it makes no sense! So now that someone's rigged up an evening marathon here (don't even have to travel!) I should try it out. We probably won't be here Sept 2011; this might be my only chance.

Training would be pretty much the same as for a 1/2 for the first bit, so I don't have to decide right away. For the past 10 weeks, I've averaged just under 400 minutes/week, which is probably just above 40 miles/week...not the best mileage, but not the worst. I could get up to 60 miles/week again. Hmm, will see. Meanwhile, I have 5 weeks of real speed reps, fast and with full recoveries--my favourite workout! It'll be interesting to see how I do at Emilie's Run after that--might sharpen me up. But I don't really care! My ultimate main goal will be Winterman 2011 full--a 1/2 or full early this fall is an excuse to bump up mileage over the summer, and then I'll have a good base for 6 months of prep for Winterman.

No comments: