Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 110

Sat evening: 30 min
Sun: 30 min, plus hiking, and the usual walking. I'm mentioning the walking because we've had family stay with us this past weekend and it's been eye-opening how much much more people walk here (downtown) than there (suburbs). I think we tired them out a bit but they had fun; thankfully they're considerably more fit and healthy than the average person their age; they work out and maintain a healthy weight and diet but they also live in a car-centric place and so they don't walk the couple of miles a day or so that people downtown tend to do just getting around. That makes a big difference.

Monday morning: 30 min. The calf knot seems to be finally gone! I'm not sure what caused it, but I didn't want to do any more VO2 max workouts with it. I figure I might attempt 5X 3 min tonight or tomorrow, and again later in the week, and then a shorter workout next week, and then that's it for VO2 max for a while, I think. I was considering doing some more before Emilie's run to sharpen up for that, but now I'm thinking that I can't keep up the VO2 max workouts for much longer. I'm getting tired from them and increased mileage in general, but I want to keep the mileage! Best hammer a couple more VO2max workouts before NCM 5K (too bad that I didn't work up to 4-5 min reps, oh, well, maybe next time), then switch to faster shorter reps with longer recoveries (these are considerably easier for me) to begin a training cycle for my next race, a fall 1/2. This will give me at least 3 months to prepare. I'll still do Emilie's run but it won't be something that dictates training anymore, beyond a few easy days beforehand.

At any rate, it feels nice to be training almost like normal again!

Oh, and this week's trough will be the international festival nearby--we've already eaten there three times in the last three days! no joke! We've eaten Brazilian, Filipino, Mexican, Polish, Ukrainian, Peruvian, Thai, Turkish...I've lost track. Unfortunately, yesterday, the Peruvians had run out of their corn/condensed milk cookies, but they said that they would have more today. The festival goes on until the 24th.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Looks like we're both getting back to psuedo-normal running, yay!

cs said...

You bet! :D