Sunday, May 3, 2009

recovering...nicely

I'm definitely feeling less tired.
My foot is definitely better. I now have a glitch with my right hip flexor, which tells me that I've been neglecting certain rehab exercises (it's an old thing), so hopefully that will disappear soon too. Strangely enough, the best thing for me has been jogging in flip flops. I guess it puts less pressure on the arch of my foot where it hurts. I tend to slip out of the flip flops when going uphill, and after a while my toes get cramped from trying to cling to them, but alternating running and walking takes care of that. And it feels nice to run with my feet more exposed. I wish I could devise some sort of paint on/peel off sole protector because there is still too much grit on the bike paths to run barefoot comfortably, but sandals are a good compromise.

It still hasn't quite hit me that I'm supposed to cover 50 miles 6 days from now. At this point, I'm more concerned about the early start: 5 am. That's just a few hours after my habitual bedtime (the evening shift has made me more ghoulish as of late). However, if I consider getting up the hard part, that will be over first. By the time I wake up, there will be a couple of hours or whatever behind me. It'll be like various mountain hikes I've been on starting at 2-3 am or whatever. There are advantages to getting up and rolling super early. Just don't ask me to demonstrate quick reflexes or operate heavy machinery.

No comments: